Likelihood-Based Estimation of a Proportional-Hazard, Competing- Risk Model with Grouped Duration Data
This short paper demonstrates two important results related to the estimation of competing-risk models under the proportional-hazards assumption with grouped duration data. First I show that the model with non-parametric baseline hazards is unidentifiable with only grouped duration data. Therefore one has to make functional form assumption for any meaningful inference. Secondly I demonstrate that under some parametric assumption such as piecewise constant baseline hazards, the sample likelihood function has explicit analytical form. Therefore there is no need for approximation. The approximation formula adopted by Deng et al (2000) and religiously followed by others is only a quasi likelihood function.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brent W. Ambrose & Michael LaCour-Little, 2001. "Prepayment Risk in Adjustable Rate Mortgages Subject to Initial Year Discounts: Some New Evidence," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 29(2), pages 305-327.
- Sueyoshi, Glenn T., 1992. "Semiparametric proportional hazards estimation of competing risks models with time-varying covariates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1-2), pages 25-58.
- Deng, Yongheng & Quigley, John M. & Van Order, Robert, 1999.
"Mortgage Terminations, Heterogeneity, and the Exercise of Mortgage Options,"
Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series
qt96r560pg, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Yongheng Deng & John M. Quigley & Robert Van Order, 2000. "Mortgage Terminations, Heterogeneity and the Exercise of Mortgage Options," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 275-308, March.
- Yongheng Deng & John M. Quigley & Robert Van Order, . "Mortgage Terminations, Heterogeneity and the Exercise of Mortgage Options," Zell/Lurie Center Working Papers 322, Wharton School Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- McCall, B.P., 1993.
"Unemployment Insurance Rules, Joblessness, and Part-Time Work,"
93-07, Minnesota - Industrial Relations Center.
- McCall, Brian P, 1996. "Unemployment Insurance Rules, Joblessness, and Part-Time Work," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 647-82, May.
- Mark Yuying An, 2000. "A Semiparametric Distribution for Willingness to Pay and Statistical Inference with Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(3), pages 487-500.
- Han, Aaron & Hausman, Jerry A, 1990. "Flexible Parametric Estimation of Duration and Competing Risk Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 1-28, January-M.
- Yuying An, M., 1998.
"Statistical Inference of a Bivariate Proportional Hazard Model with Grouped Data,"
98-12, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1996. "Statistical Inference of a Bivariate Proportional Hazard Model with Grouped Data," Working Papers 96-06, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Mark Yuying An, 1996. "Statistical Inference of a Bivariate Proportional Hazard Model with Grouped Data," Econometrics 9611005, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpur:0407013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.