The wage-wage-...-wage-profit relation in a multisector bargaining economy
The equalization of profit rates across a multisector production economy subject to Nash bargaining over wages supports an industry wage structure like those that account for a large fraction of actual wage dispersion and a wage-wage-...-wage-profit surface on which the general profit rate can vary inversely or directly with the wage paid in a given industry. Institutional changes that compress or decompress the wage distribution depend for support on industrially specific cross-class coalitions of workers and capitalists. Technical changes that raise capitalists' profits in current prices can lower the equilibrium profit rate.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gilbert L. Skillman, 1997. "Technical Change and the Equilibrium Profit Rate in a Market with Sequential Bargaining," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 238-261, October.
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1997.
"Theory of Production,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521588676, March.
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1995. "Theory of Production," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521443258, December.
- Burgstaller,Andre, 1994. "Property and Prices," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521419031, December.
- Mahmood Arai, 2003. "Wages, Profits, and Capital Intensity: Evidence from Matched Worker-Firm Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(3), pages 593-618, July.
- Arai, Mahmood, 1999. "Wages, Profits and Capital Intensity: Evidence from Matched Worker-Firm Data," Research Papers in Economics 1999:3, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-293, March.
- Gittleman, Maury & Wolff, Edward N, 1993. "International Comparisons of Inter-industry Wage Differentials," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 39(3), pages 295-312, September.
- Reiner Franke, 1999. "Technical Change and a Falling Wage Share if Profits are Maintained," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 35-53, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpge:0501003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.