Efficient Monte Carlo Pricing of Basket Options
Montecarlo methods can be used to price derivatives for which closed evaluation formulas are not available or difficult to derive. A drawback of the method can be its high computational cost, especially if applied to basket options, whose payoffs depend on more than one asset. This article presents two kinds of control variates to reduce variance of estimates, based on unconditional and conditional expectations of assets respectively. We apply the previous variance reduction methods to some basket options (Spread, Dual and Portfolio options), achieving in some case remarkable speed and accuracy in price estimation.
|Date of creation:||16 Jan 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Tex (OzTex for Mac); prepared on Macintosh 6100; to print on PostScript; pages: 10; figures: 1 (included)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The valuation of options for alternative stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 145-166.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Kemna, A. G. Z. & Vorst, A. C. F., 1990. "A pricing method for options based on average asset values," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 113-129, March.
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-86, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:9801001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.