Pricing and Hedging Basket Options with Exact Moment Matching
Theoretical models applied to option pricing should take into account the empirical characteristics of the underlying financial time series. In this paper, we show how to price basket options when assets follow a shifted log-normal process with jumps capable of accommodating negative skewness. Our technique is based on the Hermite polynomial expansion that can match exactly the first m moments of the model implied-probability distribution. This method is shown to provide superior results for basket options not only with respect to pricing but also for hedging.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 2001. "Valuing American Options by Simulation: A Simple Least-Squares Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 113-147.
- Arturo Leccadito & Pietro Toscano & Radu S. Tunaru, 2012. "Hermite Binomial Trees: A Novel Technique For Derivatives Pricing," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 15(08), pages 1-36.
- P. Pellizzari, 1998. "Efficient Monte Carlo Pricing of Basket Options," Finance 9801001, EconWPA.
- Aanand Venkatramanan & Carol Alexander, 2011. "Closed Form Approximations for Spread Options," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(5), pages 447-472, January.
- Robert JARROW & Andrew RUDD, 2008.
"Approximate Option Valuation For Arbitrary Stochastic Processes,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 1, pages 9-31
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Jarrow, Robert & Rudd, Andrew, 1982. "Approximate option valuation for arbitrary stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 347-369, November.
- Levy, Edmond, 1992. "Pricing European average rate currency options," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 474-491, October.
- Barraquand, Jérôme & Martineau, Didier, 1995. "Numerical Valuation of High Dimensional Multivariate American Securities," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(03), pages 383-405, September.
- Marco Frittelli, 2000. "The Minimal Entropy Martingale Measure and the Valuation Problem in Incomplete Markets," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 39-52.
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-186, March.
- Minqiang Li & Jieyun Zhou & Shi-Jie Deng, 2010. "Multi-asset spread option pricing and hedging," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 305-324.
- Li, Minqiang & Deng, Shijie & Zhou, Jieyun, 2008. "Multi-asset Spread Option Pricing and Hedging," MPRA Paper 8259, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bjerksund, Petter & Stensland, Gunnar, 2006. "Closed form spread option valuation," Discussion Papers 2006/20, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Jèôme Barraquand, 1995. "Numerical Valuation of High Dimensional Multivariate European Securities," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(12), pages 1882-1891, December.
- Turnbull, Stuart M. & Wakeman, Lee Macdonald, 1991. "A Quick Algorithm for Pricing European Average Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 377-389, September.
- Li, Minqiang, 2008. "Closed-Form Approximations for Spread Option Prices and Greeks," MPRA Paper 6994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 2001. "Valuing American Options by Simulation: A Simple Least-Squares Approach," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt43n1k4jb, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1312.4443. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.