Risk-Taking Behaviour With Expected Utility and Limited Liability: Applications to the Regulation of Financial Intermediaries
We examine the optimal risk-taking behaviour of a risk-averse individual under the assumption of a guaranteed floor for wealth (limited liability). We show that the existence of limited liability raises the optimal exposure to risk. Also, there is a positive lower bound to initial wealth (equity) under which it is optimal to accept the maximum allowed risk (''betting for ressurection''). An exogenous increase in equity does not necessarily reduces optimal exposure to risk, except if absolute risk aversion is non- decreasing. In particular, we show that increasing equity capital would increase the probability of failure if relative risk aversion is decreasing. Applications are for the regulation of the banking and insurance systems with incomplete markets and asymmetric information.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1993|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dionne, Georges & Eeckhoudt, Louis & Gollier, Christian, 1993.
"Increases in Risk and Linear Payoffs,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(2), pages 309-319, May.
- Dionne, G. & Eeckhoudt, L., 1990. "Increases in Risk and Linear Payoffs," Cahiers de recherche 9019, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dionne, G. & Eeckhoudt, L., 1990. "Increases In Risk And Linear Payoffs," Cahiers de recherche 9019, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1992. "Capital requirements and the behaviour of commercial banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1137-1170, June.
- Gollier Christian, 1995. "The Comparative Statics of Changes in Risk Revisited," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 522-535, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:riskar:016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.