The role of clusters in the development of Hungarian city-regions
More and more scholars of regional science are interested nowadays in the question what role do clusters in city-regions play in the knowledge-based economy. This question can be dealt with from the functional or nodal regions point of view and one has to examine the factors that influence regional competitiveness. The answers are especially important for the Hungarian city-regions, since between 2007 and 2013 they are aimed with significant subsidies from EU regional development funds to improve their competitiveness. In this paper we outline our analytical framework: the pyramid model of regional competitiveness. After this the paper assesses the competitiveness types of the Hungarian functional subregions, as city-regions (LAU1). A complex methodology, with the help of multi-variable data analysing methods, is used throughout our statistical analysis to underlie the classification of city-regions. For the clusters mapping in these regions we apply the location quotient (LQ) method.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karen Polenske, 2004. "Competition, Collaboration and Cooperation: An Uneasy Triangle in Networks of Firms and Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1029-1043.
- Edward Malecki, 2004. "Jockeying for Position: What It Means and Why It Matters to Regional Development Policy When Places Compete," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1101-1120.
- Lukovics, Miklos, 2006. "A Possible Method Of Measuring The Competitiveness Of Hungarian Counties," GAZDÁLKODÁS: Scientific Journal on Agricultural Economics, KÁROLY RÓBERT OKTATÓ-KUTATÓ Kht., vol. 50(17).
- Camagni, Roberto, 2002. "On the concept of territorial competitiveness: sound or misleading?," ERSA conference papers ersa02p518, European Regional Science Association.
- Ben Gardiner & Ron Martin & Tyler Peter, 2004. "Competitiveness, Productivity and Economic Growth across the European Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa04p333, European Regional Science Association.
- Todtling, Franz & Trippl, Michaela, 2005. "One size fits all?: Towards a differentiated regional innovation policy approach," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1203-1219, October.
- Lengyel, Imre, 2000.
"A regionális versenyképességről
[Regional competitiveness]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(12), pages 962-987.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa10p313. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.