Dealing with Dichotomies: The case of Bornholm
This paper aims to characterise the interplay between regional development and economic and innovative capacity on the Danish island community of Bornholm. Drawing on studies of institutions, innovative capacity is highlighted as knowledge resources, relational resources and mobilisation capacity. Building on these concepts, the institutions of regional development on Bornholm are examined in terms of how traditional core competencies in agriculture and the fishing industries are being utilised and are in the process of change towards a new core competency. The study shows how knowledge resources on Bornholm appear to be sufficient for fostering regional development in new endeavours. Bornholm is also working hard to facilitate new relationships and social capital to build innovative capacity. But the mobilisation of visions and goals towards a new core competency is being hindered by to the social and institutional dichotomies on the island. These dichotomies are examined in the paper and examples are presented of how Bornholm is currently dealing with this situation.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P Healey, 1998. "Building institutional capacity through collaborative approaches to urban planning," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 30(9), pages 1531-1546, September.
- Anders Malmberg & Peter Maskell, 2002. "The elusive concept of localization economies: towards a knowledge-based theory of spatial clustering," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(3), pages 429-449, March.
- Clive Lawson & Edward Lorenz, 1999.
"Collective Learning, Tacit Knowledge and Regional Innovative Capacity,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 305-317.
- Clive Lawson & Edward Lorenz, 1999. "Collective Learning, Tacit Knowledge and Regional Innovative Capacity," Post-Print halshs-00483649, HAL.
- Hans Westlund, 2006. "The Social Capital of Regional Dynamics: A Policy Perspective," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-423, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- P Healey, 1998. "Building Institutional Capacity through Collaborative Approaches to Urban Planning," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 30(9), pages 1531-1546, September.
- Lundvall, Bengt-Ake & Johnson, Bjorn & Andersen, Esben Sloth & Dalum, Bent, 2002. "National systems of production, innovation and competence building," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 213-231, February.
- Kevin Morgan, 1997. "The Learning Region: Institutions, Innovation and Regional Renewal," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(5), pages 491-503.
- Cooke, Philip, 2001. "Regional Innovation Systems, Clusters, and the Knowledge Economy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 945-974, December.
- Furman, Jeffrey L. & Porter, Michael E. & Stern, Scott, 2002. "The determinants of national innovative capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 899-933, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa10p1330. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.