Job Creation and Employment Size Categories. A Study of Methodological Alternatives
The study examines four methods to allocate changes in employment to the various employment size categories. For annual data, the reference parameter should be the average size of the enterprise or a dynamic allocation procedure. Due to regression bias, job creation by smaller enterprises is overestimated when figures from the previous year or from start-ups are used. Using the final enterprise size overestimates job creation by large-scale businesses. Quarterly data are best served by a dynamic allocation to size categories. This method of allocation, used as its official method by the American Bureau for Labor Statistics, is the only one that allows allocating new formations and closures to the size categories.
|Date of creation:||25 Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+43 1) 798 26 01-0
Fax: (+43 1) 798 93 86
Web page: http://www.wifo.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Werner Hölzl & Peter Huber, 2009. "An Anatomy of Firm Level Job Creation Rates over the Business Cycle," WIFO Working Papers 348, WIFO.
- Alex Coad & Werner Hölzl, 2010.
"Firm Growth: Empirical Analysis,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Neumark, David & Wall, Brandon & Zhang, Junfu, 2008.
"Do Small Businesses Create More Jobs? New Evidence for the United States from the National Establishment Time Series,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3888, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Neumark & Brandon Wall & Junfu Zhang, 2011. "Do Small Businesses Create More Jobs? New Evidence for the United States from the National Establishment Time Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 16-29, August.
- Huber, Peter & Oberhofer, Harald & Pfaffermayr , Michael, 2013.
"Who Creates Jobs? Estimating Job Creation Rates at the Firm Level,"
Working Papers in Economics and Finance
2013-5, University of Salzburg.
- Peter Huber & Harald Oberhofer & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2012. "Who Creates Jobs? Estimating Job Creation Rates at the Firm Level," WIFO Working Papers 435, WIFO.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John & Schuh, Scott, 1996.
" Small Business and Job Creation: Dissecting the Myth and Reassessing the Facts,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 297-315, August.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1993. "Small Business and Job Creation: Dissecting the Myth and Reassessing theFacts," NBER Working Papers 4492, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfo:wpaper:y:2012:i:425. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.