Transactional Structures of Bank Privatization in Central Europe and Russia
In pursuing bank privatization, governments in Central Europe and Russia faced a common set of policy issues including how to break up the monobank system, deal with troubled loans, transfer equity to the private sector, and attract capital to the banks. For each bank undergoing privatization, the government's approach to such issues determines its transactional structure. We develop this conceptual framework and assess the findings from three studies of major commercial banks undergoing privatization. The varied transactional structures used in these privatizations appear to have had significant effects on each bank's microstructure, and to influence bank strategy and post-privatization performance.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 724 E. University Ave, Wyly Hall 1st Flr, Ann Arbor MI 48109|
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abarbanell, Jeffery S. & Meyendorff, Anna, 1997. "Bank Privatization in Post-Communist Russia: The Case of Zhilsotsbank," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 62-96, August.
- Snyder, Edward A. & Kormendi, Roger C., 1997. "Privatization and Performance of the Czech Republic's Komercni Banka," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 97-128, August.
- Buch, Claudia M., 1994.
"Dealing with bad debt: Lessons from Eastern Europe,"
Kiel Working Papers
642, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Buch, Claudia M., 1994. "Dealing with bad debt: Lessons from Eastern Europe," Kiel Working Papers 642, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Dittus Peter, 1994. "Bank Reform and Behavior in Central Europe," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 335-361, December.
- Thorne, Alfredo & DEC, 1993. "Eastern Europe's experience with banking reform : is there a role for banks in the transition?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1235, The World Bank.
- Abarbanell, Jeffery S. & Bonin, John P., 1997. "Bank Privatization in Poland: The Case of Bank Slaski," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 31-61, August.
- Paul Wachtel, 1995. "Foreign Banking in the Central European Economies in Transition," Working Papers 95-19, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Saunders, Anthony & Sommariva, Andrea, 1993. "Banking sector and restructuring in Eastern Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 931-957, September.
- Sam Peltzman, 1976.
"Toward a More General Theory of Regulation,"
NBER Working Papers
0133, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Josef C. Brada, 1996. "Privatization Is Transition--Or Is It?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 67-86, Spring.
- Caprio, Gerard, Jr & Levine, Ross, 1994. "Reforming Finance in Transitional Socialist Economies," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 9(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Jeffert Aberbanellv & John Bonin, 1997. "Bank Privatization in Poland: The Case of Bank Slaki," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 4, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bonin, John P. & Leven, Bozena, 1996. "Polish Bank Consolidation and Foreign Competition: Creating a Market-Oriented Banking Sector," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 52-72, August.
- Begg, David & Portes, Richard, 1993. "Enterprise debt and financial restructuring in Central and Eastern Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 396-407, April.
- Ronald I. McKinnon, 1991. "Financial Control in the Transition from Classical Socialism to a Market Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(4), pages 107-122, Fall.
- Perotti, Enrico C., 1993. "Bank lending in transition economies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 1021-1032, September.
- Roger C. Kormendi & Karen Schnatterly, 1996. "Bank Privatization in Hungary and the Magyar Kulkereskedelmi Bank Transaction," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 3, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Thorne, Alfredo, 1993. "Eastern Europe's experience with banking reform: Is there a role for banks in the transition?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 959-1000, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:1997-2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.