How the macroeconomic environment affects human resource development
Do inward-focused development strategies reduce competition in factor markets and incentives for more efficient skills development? Do outward-focused development strategies improve them? The authors compared vocational education and training systems in six developing countries in the 1980s. They found that an outward orientation encourages more efficient development of human resources. Protectionist trade regimes that shelter producers from global competition produce price distortions in domestic capital and labor markets that affect the efficient use of resources in skills development. Structural adjustment programs that address these distortions expand incentives for private training and for more efficient use of public resources in skills development.
|Date of creation:||31 Jan 1992|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krueger, Anne O, 1990. "Asian Trade and Growth Lessons," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 108-112, May.
- Norma A. Tan, 1987. "Incentives and Protection Policies in Relation to Comparative Advantage and Labor-Intensity in Philippine Manufacturing: An Evaluation," UP School of Economics Discussion Papers 198702, University of the Philippines School of Economics.
- Adams, Arvil V. & Schwartz, Antoine, 1988. "Vocational education and economic environments : conflict or convergence?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 70, The World Bank.
- Balassa, Bela, 1988. "The interaction of factor and product market distortions in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 449-463, April.
- Rajapatirana, Sarath, 1988. "Foreign trade and economic development: Sri Lanka's experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(10), pages 1143-1157, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:828. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.