The doing business indicators, economic growth and regulatory reform
Improving the investment climate is among the top priorities in development. The World Bank Group's Doing Business reports have become an important guide and benchmark to inform regulatory reforms aimed at unleashing the potential of the private sector. This paper discusses the potential role of the Doing Business Indicators in the reform process. Generally, the Doing Business studies are constrained in their prescriptive power for policy making. However, governments that nonetheless choose to use the Doing Business reports for guidance in the reform process can aim to improve their Doing Business ranking to enhance the visibility of their general reform efforts; or they can aim at maximizing the impact of reform on economic growth. In this case, the evidence suggests that focusing on indicators relating to credit and the enforcement of contracts is the most important. Indicators related to cost have the largest potential for fostering growth.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wendy Carlin & Mark Schaffer & Paul Seabright, 2006. "Where are the Real Bottlenecks? A Lagrangian Approach to Identifying Constraints on Growth from Subjective Survey Data," CERT Discussion Papers 0604, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Jean-Jacques Dethier & Maximilian Hirn & Stéphane Straub, 2011.
"Explaining Enterprise Performance in Developing Countries with Business Climate Survey Data,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 26(2), pages 258-309, August.
- Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Hirn, Maximilian & Straub, Stephane, 2008. "Explaining Enterprise Performance in Developing Countries with Business Climate Survey Data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4792, The World Bank.
- Norman V. Loayza & Luis Servén, 2010. "Business Regulation and Economic Performance," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2554, August.
- Dollar, David & Hallward-Driemeier, Mary & Mengistae, Taye, 2005. "Investment Climate and Firm Performance in Developing Economies," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(1), pages 1-31, October.
- repec:ilo:empelm:2007-06 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:6176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.