Industrial portfolio responses to macroeconomic shocks : an econometric model for developing countries
This study identifies the macro conditions under which industrial growth and financial stability are most likely, and those conditions which are most prone to create disaster. The paper models interest rates, exchange rates, and aggregate demand conditions as affecting industrial growth and financial risk through two channels. First, because these variables affect firms'income, they affect firms net worth expansion. Second, because the link between macro variables and income depends upon the proportions in which firms hold fixed capital, inventories, financial assets, and debts, changes in macro variables also induce portfolio adjustments. The paper then develops an empirical model which allows one to calibrate the strength and timing of each effect. The paper is composed of two sections; one to develop the model, and one to report an application to Uruguayan data. There is also a brief summary section.
|Date of creation:||31 Oct 1988|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Jalilvand, Abolhassan & Harris, Robert S, 1984. " Corporate Behavior in Adjusting to Capital Structure and Dividend Targets: An Econometric Study," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 127-45, March.
- Taggart, Robert A, Jr, 1977. "A Model of Corporate Financing Decisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(5), pages 1467-84, December.
- Yardeni, Edward E, 1978. "A Portfolio-Balance Model of Corporate Working Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(2), pages 535-52, May.
- de Melo, Jaime & Tybout, James, 1986. "The Effects of Financial Liberalization on Savings and Investment in Uruguay," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(3), pages 561-87, April.
- Prucha, Ingmar R. & Nadiri, M. Ishaq, 1986. "A comparison of alternative methods for the estimation of dynamic factor demand models under non-static expectations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 187-211.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.