Moment Conditions and Neglected Endogeneity in Panel Data Models
This paper develops a new moment condition for estimation of linear panel data models. When added to the set of instruments devised by Anderson, Hsiao (1981, 1982) for the dynamic model, the proposed approach can outperform the GMM methods customarily employed for estimation. The proposal builds on the properties of the iterated GLS, that, contrary to conventional wisdom, can lead to a consistent estimator in particular cases where endogeneity of the explanatory variables is neglected. The targets achieved are a reduction in the number of moment conditions and a better performance over the most widely adopted techniques.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Cantarane, 24 - I-37129 Verona|
Phone: +39 045 802 8095
Fax: +39 045 802 8529
Web page: http://www.dse.univr.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alok Bhargava & J. D. Sargan, 2006.
"Estimating Dynamic Random Effects Models From Panel Data Covering Short Time Periods,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Econometrics, Statistics And Computational Approaches In Food And Health Sciences, chapter 1, pages 3-27
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Bhargava, Alok & Sargan, J D, 1983. "Estimating Dynamic Random Effects Models from Panel Data Covering Short Time Periods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1635-1659, November.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1054, July.
- Han, Chirok & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2010. "Gmm Estimation For Dynamic Panels With Fixed Effects And Strong Instruments At Unity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 119-151, February.
- Chirok Han & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2007. "GMM Estimation for Dynamic Panels with Fixed Effects and Strong Instruments at Unity," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1599, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Calzolari, Giorgio & Sampoli, Letizia, 1993. "A Curious Result on Exact FIML and Instrumental Variables," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 296-309, April.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1995. "On bias, inconsistency, and efficiency of various estimators in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "LSDVC: RATS procedure to estimate a dynamic FE model with correction for bias," Statistical Software Components RTS00111, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ahn, Seung C. & Schmidt, Peter, 1995. "Efficient estimation of models for dynamic panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 5-27, July.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ver:wpaper:02/2011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Reiter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.