Dynamic Inefficiency in an Overlapping Generations Economy with Production
Reichlin (JET, 1986) has shown in an OLG model with productive capital that whenever the steady state is locally indeterminate and undergoes a Hopf bifurcation, it is Pareto-optimal. While these results were established under the assumption of Leontief technology, the author has partially extended them to show that the Hopf bifurcation is robust with respect to the introduction of capital-labor substitution. In this note, we prove that the Pareto-optimality of the steady state does not extend to technologies with capital-labor substitution. When the steady state is a sink or undergoes a Hopf bifurcation, it is characterized by over-accumulation with respect to the Golden Rule - the interest rate is negative - hence not Pareto-optimal. Most importantly, it follows that stabilization policies targeting the steady state leave room for welfare losses associated with productive inefficiency, apart from the very special case of Leontief technology.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cannaregio, S. Giobbe no 873 , 30121 Venezia|
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.economia
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido Cazzavillan & Patrick A. Pintus, 2006.
"Endogenous business cycles and dynamic inefficiency,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 2(3-4), pages 279-294.
- Guido Cazzavillan & Patrick Pintus, 2006. "Endogenous Business Cycles and Dynamic Inefficiency," Working Papers 2006_37, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Cazzavillan, Guido & Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Pintus, Patrick A., 1998. "Multiple Steady States and Endogenous Fluctuations with Increasing Returns to Scale in Production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 60-107, May.
- Cazzavillan, Guido & Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Pintus, Patrick, 1996. "Multiple steady states and endogenous fluctuations with increasing returns to scale in production," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9618, CEPREMAP.
- G, Cazzavillan & T, Lloyd-Braga & P, A, Pintus, 1997. "Multiple Steady States and Endogenous Fluctuations with Increasing Returns to Scale in Production," Working Papers 97-29, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Reichlin, Pietro, 1986. "Equilibrium cycles in an overlapping generations economy with production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 89-102, October.
- Cazzavillan, Guido, 2001. "Indeterminacy and Endogenous Fluctuations with Arbitrarily Small Externalities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 133-157, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)