Endogenous Business Cycles In Overlapping-Generations Economies With Multiple Consumption Goods
We consider an overlapping-generations economy with two consumption goods. There are two sectors that produce a pure consumption good and a mixed good that can be either consumed or used as capital. We prove that the existence of Pareto-optimal expectations-driven fluctuations is compatible with standard sectoral technologies if the share of the pure consumption good is low enough. Following Reichlin's [ Journal of Economic Theory 40 (1986), 89–102] influential conclusion, this result suggests that some fiscal policy rules can prevent business-cycle fluctuations in the economy by driving it to the optimal steady state as soon as they are announced.
Volume (Year): 16 (2012)
Issue (Month): S1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_MDY
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Galor, Oded, 1992. "A Two-Sector Overlapping-Generations Model: A Global Characterization of the Dynamical System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(6), pages 1351-86, November.
- Kalra, Sanjay, 1996. "Cyclical equilibria in multi-sector productive economies: The role of substitution and factor intensity," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(9-10), pages 1709-1729.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997.
"Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles,"
97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997. "Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles," CORE Discussion Papers 1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Reichlin, Pietro, 1986. "Equilibrium cycles in an overlapping generations economy with production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 89-102, October.
- Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1983. "Do Sunspots Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 193-227, April.
- Venditti, Alain, 2005. "The two sector overlapping generations model: A simple formulation," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 164-188, June.
- Cazzavillan, Guido & Pintus, Patrick, 2007.
"Dynamic inefficiency in an overlapping generations economy with production,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 754-759, November.
- Guido Cazzavillan & Patrick Pintus, 2006. "Dynamic Inefficiency in an Overlapping Generations Economy with Production," Working Papers 2006_40, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Alain Venditti & Carine Nourry & Jean-Pierre Drugeon, 2010.
"On Efficiency and Local Uniqueness in Two-Sector OLG Economies,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Drugeon, Jean-Pierre & Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2010. "On efficiency and local uniqueness in two-sector OLG economies," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 120-144, January.
- Jean-Pierre Drugeon & Carine Nourry & Alain Venditti, 2009. "On efficiency and local uniqueness in two-sector OLG economies," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00439241, HAL.
- Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2011.
"Local indeterminacy under dynamic efficiency in a two-sector overlapping generations economy,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 164-169, March.
- Carine Nourry & Alain Venditti, 2009. "Local indeterminacy under dynamic efficiency in a two-sector overlapping generations economy," Working Papers halshs-00439240, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cup:macdyn:v:16:y:2012:i:s1:p:86-102_00. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.