A key feature of the rank dependent model for decision making under risk is that the weighting of an outcome depends on its relative rank. This theory received numerous axiomatizations, however, all these sets of axioms need to make an explicit reference to the ranking of the outcomes. This situation is unsatisfactory, as it seems to be desirable to get the ranking property of this model as a consequence of the model, rather than as an assumption. Yaari offered a special version of this model (called dual theory), where the utility function is linear. This paper offers a set of axioms implying a generalization of Yaari's dual theory, without making any reference to the order of the outcomes. The main axiom is called dual betweenness, which, unlike the usual case, is made on random variables rather than distribution functions.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 519-661-2111 Ext.85244
Web page: http://economics.uwo.ca/research/research_papers/department_working_papers.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quiggin, J. & Wakker, P., 1992.
"The Axiomatic Basis of Anticipated Utility: A Clarification,"
9203, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Quiggin John & Wakker Peter, 1994. "The Axiomatic Basis of Anticipated Utility: A Clarification," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 486-499, December.
- Quiggin, J. & Wakker, P.P., 1992. "The Axiomatic Basis of Anticipated Utility : A Clarification," Discussion Paper 1992-3, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Uzi Segal, 2000.
"Two Stage Lotteries Without the Reduction Axiom,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7599, David K. Levine.
- Quiggin, John, 1982. "A theory of anticipated utility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 323-343, December.
- Weymark, John A., 1981.
"Generalized gini inequality indices,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 409-430, August.
- Safra, Zvi & Segal, Uzi, 1998. "Constant Risk Aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 19-42, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwo:uwowop:9814. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.