Alternative Term Structure Models for Reviewing Expectations Puzzles
According to the expectations hypothesis, the forward rate is equal to the expected future short rate, an argument that is not supported by most empirical studies that demonstrate the existence of term premiums. An alternative arbitrage-free term structure model for reviewing the expectations hypothesis is presented and tractable expressions for time-varying term premiums are obtained. The model is constructed under the real-world probability measure and depends on two stochastic factors: the short rate and the market price of risk. The model suggests that for short maturities the short rate contribution determines the term premiums, while for longer maturities, the contribution of the market price of risk dominates.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia|
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.qfrc.uts.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- F. A. Lutz, 1940. "The Structure of Interest Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(1), pages 36-63.
- Eckhard Platen, 2004.
"A Benchmark Approach to Finance,"
Research Paper Series
138, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Truc Le & Eckhard Platen, 2006.
"Approximating the Growth Optimal Portfolio with a Diversified World Stock Index,"
Research Paper Series
180, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Truc Le & Eckhard Platen, 2006. "Approximating the Growth Optimal Portfolio with a Diversified World Stock Index," Research Paper Series 184, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Platen, Eckhard, 2000.
"A minimal financial market model,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2000,91, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Harris, Richard D F, 2001. " The Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure and Time-Varying Risk Premia: A Panel Data Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(2), pages 233-245, May.
- Christiansen, Charlotte, 2001. "Long Maturity Forward Rates," Finance Working Papers 01-12, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Eckhard Platen, 2001. "Arbitrage in Continuous Complete Markets," Research Paper Series 72, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Eckhard Platen, 2003. "Modeling the Volatility and Expected Value of a Diversified World Index," Research Paper Series 103, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Harris, R., 1998. "The Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure and Time Varying Risk Premia: a Panel Data Approach," Discussion Papers 9811, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uts:rpaper:305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.