Option data and modeling BSM implied volatility
This contribution to the Handbook of Computational Finance, Springer-Verlag, gives an overview on modeling implied volatility data. After introducing the concept of Black-Scholes-Merton implied volatility (IV), the empirical stylized facts of IV data are reviewed. We then discuss recent results on IV surface dynamics and the computational aspects of IV. The main focus is on various parametric, semi- and nonparametric modeling strategies for IV data, including ones which respect no-arbitrage bounds.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dufourstrasse 50, CH - 9000 St.Gallen|
Phone: +41 71 224 23 25
Fax: +41 71 224 31 35
Web page: http://www.seps.unisg.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2002.
"The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing,"
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2003. "The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 753-778, 04.
- Mark Britten-Jones & Anthony Neuberger, 2000. "Option Prices, Implied Price Processes, and Stochastic Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 839-866, 04.
- M. Benko & M. Fengler & W. Härdle & M. Kopa, 2007. "On extracting information implied in options," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 543-553, December.
- Steven P. Feinstein, 1988. "A source of unbiased implied volatility forecasts," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 88-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Corrado, Charles J. & Miller, Thomas Jr., 1996. "A note on a simple, accurate formula to compute implied standard deviations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 595-603, April.
- Rama Cont & Jose da Fonseca, 2002. "Dynamics of implied volatility surfaces," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 45-60.
- Bernard Dumas & Jeff Fleming & Robert E. Whaley, 1998. "Implied Volatility Functions: Empirical Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2059-2106, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:dp2010:2010-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Flockerzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.