What Happened to Wage and Non-Employment Structures During the ‘Dutch Employment Miracle’?
The Netherlands have experienced an employment miracle since the 1980s. This note investigates what happened to the wage, unemployment, and non-employment structures between 1988 and 1998, when both unemployment and non-employment rates decreased markedly. Surprisingly, I find no significant changes in the wage structures, although there clearly was wage moderation on average. Although there have also been virtually no changes in the unemployment structure, the relative non-employment of older workers (due to incentives to retire) and men increased. Whereas supply effects and early retirement schemes can explain the constancy of the returns to age, the lack of an increase in the returns to education remains a puzzle in the face of well-documented skill-biased technological change in other major industrialised countries.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dufourstrasse 50, CH - 9000 St.Gallen|
Phone: +41 71 224 23 25
Fax: +41 71 224 31 35
Web page: http://www.seps.unisg.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John P. Haisken-DeNew & Christoph M. Schmidt, 2000.
"Interindustry and Interregion Differentials: Mechanics and Interpretation,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(3), pages 516-521, August.
- John P. Haisken-DeNew & Christoph M. Schmidt, "undated". "Inter-Industry and Inter-Region Differentials: Mechanics and Interpretation," Working Papers 9504, SELAPO Center for Human Resources.
- Patrick A. Puhani, 2003. "Relative Demand Shocks and Relative Wage Rigidities During the Rise and Fall of Swiss Unemployment," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 541-562, November.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2002. "Technical Change, Inequality, and the Labor Market," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(1), pages 7-72, March.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2000. "Technical Change, Inequality, and the Labor Market," NBER Working Papers 7800, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hartog, Joop, 1999. "Wither Dutch Corporatism? Two Decades of Employment Policies and Welfare Reforms," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 46(4), pages 458-487, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:dp2004:2004-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joerg Baumberger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.