Survivor: The Role of Innovation in Firmsâ€™ Survival
This paper explores the relationship between innovation and the survival of manufacturing firms in the Netherlands. The determinants of the survival probability of a firm, traditionally identified in the size and age of a firm, are extended to include the ability of a firm to introduce an innovation in the market. The empirical analysis combines economic and demographic data from the Business Register of the population of firms active in the Netherlands with data on innovation derived from the second Community Innovation Survey. The survival probability of a firm is estimated by using a non-parametric approach: Transition Probability Matrices were calculating over different time periods. We observe that, in general, innovation has a positive and significant effect on firmsâ€™ survival that increases as time lengthens. Furthermore, our results confirm that small and young firms are those most exposed to the risk of exit, but at the same time those that benefit most of innovation to survive in the market, especially in the longer term.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 80125, NL-3508 TC Utrecht|
Phone: +31 30 253 9800
Fax: +31 30 253 7373
Web page: http://www.uu.nl/EN/faculties/leg/organisation/schools/schoolofeconomicsuse/Pages/default.aspx
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Entry, Exit, Growth, and Innovation over the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 562-83, June.
- Hall, Bronwyn H, 1987.
"The Relationship between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 583-606, June.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 1986. "The Relationship Between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector," NBER Working Papers 1965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro & Guimaraes, Paulo, 1995.
"The survival of new plants: Start-up conditions and post-entry evolution,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 459-481, December.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Mata, José & Portugal, Pedro, 1995. "The Survival of New Plants: Start-up Conditions and Post-entry Evolution," CEPR Discussion Papers 1203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Evans, David S., 1986.
"The Relationship Between Firm Growth, Size, and Age: Estimates for 100 Manufacturing Industries,"
86-33, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Evans, David S, 1987. "The Relationship between Firm Growth, Size, and Age: Estimates for 100 Manufacturing Industries," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 567-81, June.
- Richard Ericson & Ariel Pakes, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82.
- Agarwal, Rajshree & Audretsch, David B, 2001. "Does Entry Size Matter? The Impact of the Life Cycle and Technology on Firm Survival," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 21-43, March.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro, 1994. "Life Duration of New Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 227-45, September.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Audretsch, David B, 1997. "Technological Regimes, Industrial Demography and the Evolution of Industrial Structures," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 49-82.
- Audretsch, David B., 1995. "Innovation, growth and survival," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 441-457, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:use:tkiwps:0318. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marina Muilwijk)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.