Bringing Relationship Marketing Theory into B2B Practice: The B2B-RP Scale and the B2B-RELPERF Scorecard
This study presents a new measurement scale to assess the performance of a relationship between two firms. The Business-to-Business Relationship Performance (B2B-RP) scale is presented as a high order concept. When tested in a sample of nearly 400 SMEs purchasing managers operating in a B2B e-marketplace, our findings reveal that greater relationship performance results in better 1) relationship policies and practices, 2) relationship commitment, 3) trust in the relationship, 4) mutual cooperation, as well as 5) satisfaction with the relationship. The multi-dimensional scale shows strong evidence of reliability as well as convergent, discriminant and nomological validity. Findings also reveal that B2B relationship performance is positively and significantly associated with loyalty. While building on this scale, the authors develop the B2B-RP Scorecard intended to be included in periodic reports. At the managerial level, both the scale and the scorecard are expected to help disclose relationship performance, and act as useful instruments for periodic planning, management, controlling, and improvement of B2B relationships.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus de Campolide, 1099-032 Lisboa|
Phone: (351) 21 3801638
Fax: (351) 21 3870933
Web page: http://www.fe.unl.pt
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lages, Carmen & Lages, Cristiana Raquel & Lages, Luis Filipe, 2004.
"The relqual scale: a measure of relationship quality in export market ventures,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp447, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Lages, Carmen & Lages, Cristiana Raquel & Lages, Luis Filipe, 2005. "The RELQUAL scale: a measure of relationship quality in export market ventures," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(8), pages 1040-1048, August.
- Lages, Luis Filipe & Fernandes, Joana Cosme, 2005. "The SERPVAL scale: a multi-item instrument for measuring service personal values," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(11), pages 1562-1572, November.
- Lages, Luis Filipe & Lages, Cristiana Raquel, 2002. "The STEP Scale: A Cross-National Scale for Short-Term Export Performance Improvement," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp422, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- John W Cadogan & Adamantios Diamantopoulos & Charles Pahud de Mortanges, 1999. "A Measure of Export Market Orientation: Scale Development and Cross-cultural Validation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 30(4), pages 689-707, December.
- JS Armstrong & Terry Overton, 2005. "Estimating Nonresponse Bias in Mail Surveys," General Economics and Teaching 0502044, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unl:unlfep:wp471. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sean Story)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.