Regional Party Politics and the Right to Food in India
This paper explores the complex relationship between social movements, courts, and political parties in the recognition and fulfillment of human rights. We analyze social mobilization around the right to food in India since 2001, on the recent emergence of political parties' attention to the issue of contemporary food security. Drawing on original datasets (i.e., of media coverage and PILs over multiple decades), original interviews conducted in India in 2012, and analysis of multiple Indian political party platforms, we argue that the attention contemporary political parties are giving to food security did not emerge in a vacuum but that the "Right to Food" social movement has influenced the evolution of contemporary Indian party politics. Translating that influence into concrete policy reform nationally, however, remains an incomplete process.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||First presented as “Who's Bringing Food to the Party? Contemporary social movement activism on party politics in India” for the 2012 Annual Meeting of the Law & Society Association Honolulu, Hawaii.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.humanrights.uconn.edu/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Islam, Nurul, 2011. "Foreign aid to agriculture: Review of facts and analysis," IFPRI discussion papers 01053, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Paarlberg, Robert, 2010. "Food Politics: What Everyone Needs to Know," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195389593, March.
- Susan Randolph & Sakiko Fukuda-Parr & Terra Lawson-Remer, 2009.
"Economic and Social Rights Fulfillment Index: Country Scores and Rankings,"
Economic Rights Working Papers
11, University of Connecticut, Human Rights Institute.
- Susan Randolph & Sakiko Fukuda-Parr & Terra Lawson-Remer, 2009. "Economic and Social Rights Fulfillment Index: Country Scores and Rankings," Working papers 2009-27, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Molly Anderson, 2008. "Rights-based food systems and the goals of food systems reform," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 25(4), pages 593-608, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uct:ecriwp:20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francis Ahking)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.