Government Strategies to Attract R&D-Intensive FDI
Competition among countries and regions to attract the R&D activities of multinational enterprises has increased substantially during the last years, but the strategies used by governments in this competition remain largely unexplored. This paper proposes a taxonomy of the main policy instruments available to stimulate inward R&D-intensive FDI and presents the results of a comparative case-study of two European countries: Spain and Ireland. The main conclusion is that an efficient promotion of R&D-intensive FDI calls for a closer coordination between innovation policy and inward investment promotion, which are two policy areas that have traditionally operated rather independently from each other. In addition, inward investment agencies targeting R&D-intensive FDI are advised to reconfigure the scope of services they provide by placing more emphasis on after-care, since R&D-intensive FDI tends to be evolutionary rather than greenfield.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Finca Mas Ferre, Campus de Somosaguas, 28223 Madrid|
Phone: +34 913942495
Fax: 34 91 394 24 87
Web page: https://www.ucm.es/icei/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales. Finca Mas Ferre Campus de Somosaguas 28223 Madrid|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chaminade, Cristina & Vang, Jan, 2006. "Globalisation of Knowledge Production and Regional Innovation Policy: Supporting Specialized Hubs in Developing Countries," Papers in Innovation Studies 2006/15, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Gregory Tassey, 2007. "Tax incentives for innovation: time to restructure the R&E tax credit," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 32(6), pages 605-615, December.
- Bas, Christian Le & Sierra, Christophe, 2002. "'Location versus home country advantages' in R&D activities: some further results on multinationals' locational strategies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 589-609, May.
- Mansfield, Edwin & Teece, David & Romeo, Anthony, 1979. "Overseas Research and Development by US-Based Firms," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 46(182), pages 187-96, May.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Dominique Guellec, 2001.
"The internationalisation of technology analysed with patent data,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6223, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Guellec, Dominique & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno v., 2001. "The internationalisation of technology analysed with patent data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1253-1266, October.
- Robert Atkinson, 2007. "Expanding the R&E tax credit to drive innovation, competitiveness and prosperity," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 32(6), pages 617-628, December.
- Ram Mudambi, 1999. "Multinational Investment Attraction: Principal-Agent Considerations," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 65-79.
- Etzkowitz, Henry & Leydesdorff, Loet, 2000. "The dynamics of innovation: from National Systems and "Mode 2" to a Triple Helix of university-industry-government relations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 109-123, February.
- Meyer-Krahmer, Frieder & Reger, Guido, 1999. "New perspectives on the innovation strategies of multinational enterprises: lessons for technology policy in Europe," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 751-776, September.
- Ruth Rama, 2008. "Foreign investment innovation: a review of selected policies," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 353-363, August.
- Cantwell, John & Piscitello, Lucia, 2000. "Accumulating Technological Competence: Its Changing Impact on Corporate Diversification and Internationalization," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 21-51, March.
- Carlsson, Bo, 2006. "Internationalization of innovation systems: A survey of the literature," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 56-67, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucm:ppaper:03-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.