Modelling Catastrophic Risk in International Equity Markets: An Extreme Value Approach
This letter uses the Block Maxima Extreme Value approach to quantify catastrophic risk in international equity markets. Risk measures are generated from a set threshold of the distribution of returns that avoids the pitfall of using absolute returns for markets exhibiting diverging levels of risk. From an application to leading markets, the letter finds that the Nikkei is more prone to catastrophic risk than the FTSE and Dow Jones Indexes.
|Date of creation:||24 Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arts Annexe, Belfield, Dublin 4|
Phone: +353 1 7164615
Fax: +353 1 7161108
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/geary/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Cotter, 2004.
"Downside risk for European equity markets,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(10), pages 707-716.
- John Cotter & Donal G. McKillop, 2000.
"The Distributional Characteristics of a Selection of Contracts Traded on the London International Financial Futures Exchange,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3-4), pages 487-510.
- John Cotter & Donal G. McKillop, 2000. "The Distributional Characteristics of a Selection of Contracts Traded on the London International Financial Futures Exchange," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3&4), pages 487-510.
- Hans Dewachter & Geert Gielens, 1999. "Setting futures margins: the extremes approach," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 173-181.
- Cotter, John, 2004.
"Tail Behaviour of the Euro,"
3531, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2005.
- John Cotter, 2005. "Extreme risk in futures contracts," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(8), pages 489-492.
- Longin, Francois M., 2000. "From value at risk to stress testing: The extreme value approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1097-1130, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucd:wpaper:2005/15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geary Tech)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.