Employer-provided pensions, incomes, and hardship in early transitions to retirement
Canada and other countries are changing the age of public pension eligibility. A policy concern that arises is the welfare of those exiting the labour force before the age of pension eligibility. This paper addresses the welfare implications of early retirements by examining who isnâ€™t working at older ages, how they form their incomes, and how those exiting the labour market early avoid low income. The paper finds that around three quarters of those not working are able to avoid low-income status. The most important factors for avoiding low income are other family income sources, good health, and employment-related pension income.
|Date of creation:||29 Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:||29 Apr 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.clsrn.econ.ubc.ca/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank T. Denton & Byron G. Spencer, 2008.
"What Is Retirement? A Review and Assessment of Alternative Concepts and Measures,"
Quantitative Studies in Economics and Population Research Reports
427, McMaster University.
- Frank T. Denton & Byron G. Spencer, 2008. "What is Retirement? A Review and Assessment of Alternative Concepts and Measures," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 231, McMaster University.
- Kevin Milligan, 2008.
"The Evolution of Elderly Poverty in Canada,"
Canadian Public Policy,
University of Toronto Press, vol. 34(s1), pages 79-94, November.
- Kevin Milligan, 2007. "The Evolution of Elderly Poverty in Canada," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 170, McMaster University.
- Michael Baker & Jonathan Gruber & Kevin S. Milligan, 2009. "Retirement Income Security and Well-Being in Canada," NBER Working Papers 14667, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary V. Engelhardt & Jonathan Gruber, 2004. "Social Security and the Evolution of Elderly Poverty," NBER Working Papers 10466, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sébastien LaRochelle-Côté & John Myles & Garnett Picot, 2008. "Income Security and Stability During Retirement in Canada," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 236, McMaster University.
- Picot, Garnett & Larochelle-Cote, Sebastien & Myles, John, 2008. "Income Security and Stability During Retirement in Canada," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2008306e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Richard W. Johnson & Gordon B.T. Mermin, 2009. "Financial Hardship Before and After Social Security's Early Eligibility Age," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2009-8, Center for Retirement Research, revised Mar 2009.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ubc:clssrn:clsrn_admin-2013-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vivian Tran)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.