Telecommunication Services and Economic Growth: Evidence from India
This paper estimates the contribution of telecommunication (or telecom) services to aggregate economic growth in India. Estimated contribution is distinguished between public and private sectors to highlight the impact of telecom privatization on economic growth. Knowledge of policy determinants of demand of telecom services is shown to be essential to enhance growth contribution of telecom services. Using a recent sample survey data from Karnataka State in South India, price and income determinants of demand for telecom services are estimated by capacity of telephone exchanges Estimation results offer evidence for significant negative own price elasticity and positive income elasticity of demand for telecom services. In addition, survey data are used to show for non-economic factors that influence demand for telecom services including non-awareness of the usage and cost of value added services. These results have implications for design of a national policy for promotion of demand for telecom services and economic growth.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.htmlEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jalava, Jukka & Pohjola, Matti, 2002.
"Economic growth in the New Economy: evidence from advanced economies,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 189-210, June.
- Jalava, Jukka & Pohjola, Matti, 2001. "Economic Growth in the New Economy. Evidence from Advanced Economies," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Jalava, Jukka & Pohjola, Matti, 0. "ICT as a source of output and productivity growth in Finland," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 463-472, September.
- Das, Pinaki & Srinivasan, P. V., 1999. "Demand for telephone usage in India," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 177-194, July.
- Sridhar, Kala Seetharan & Sridhar, Varadharajan, 2007. "Telecommunications Infrastructure And Economic Growth: Evidence From Developing Countries," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 7(2), pages 37-56.
- El Khoury, Antoine C. & Savvides, Andreas, 2006. "Openness in services trade and economic growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 277-283, August.
- Garbacz, Christopher & Thompson Jr, Herbert G., 2007. "Demand for telecommunication services in developing countries," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 276-289, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2008cf545. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.