Volition versus feasibility: state aid when aid is looked upon favourably: the broadband example
The European Commission published on September 30, 2009, Guidelines for the application of State aid rules in relation to rapid deployment of broadband networks. These Guidelines are applicable to two markets that are connected, although somewhat different. In “traditional” or “first generation” broadband networks, public intervention mainly relates to rural communities or areas which are economically underdeveloped. Therefore, a corrective nature of the aid is maintained. However, the Guidelines are also applied to accelerate the deployment of next-generation access (NGA) networks, which implies a driving conception of State aid, as this is an emerging market and there are relatively few Europeans who have access to these networks. The analysis of these Guidelines thus seems relevant due to its novelty and, particularly, to the results that it can bring. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frieden, Rob, 2005. "Lessons from broadband development in Canada, Japan, Korea and the United States," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 595-613, September.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"State Versus Private Ownership,"
NBER Working Papers
6665, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "State Versus Private Ownership," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1841, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Cronin, Francis J. & Parker, Edwin B. & Colleran, Elisabeth K. & Gold, Mark A., 1993. "Telecommunications infrastructure investment and economic development," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 415-430, August.
- S. J. Liebowitz & Stephen E. Margolis, 1994. "Network Externality: An Uncommon Tragedy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 133-150, Spring.
- Wellenius, Bjorn, 1984. "On the role of telecommunications in development," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 59-66, March.
- Röller, Lars-Hendrik & Waverman, Leonard, 2000.
"Telecommunications Infrastructure And Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2399, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lars-Hendrik Roller & Leonard Waverman, 2001. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 909-923, September.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Leonard Waverman, 1996. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CIG Working Papers FS IV 96-16, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Francesco VENTURINI, 2006.
"The Long-Run Impact of ICT,"
254, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Marcel P. Timmer & Bart van Ark, 2005. "Does information and communication technology drive EU-US productivity growth differentials?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(4), pages 693-716, October.
- Madden, Gary G & Savage, Scott J, 1997.
"CEE telecommunications investment and economic growth,"
11843, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 25 Jul 1997.
- Madden, Gary & Savage, Scott J., 1998. "CEE telecommunications investment and economic growth," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 173-195, June.
- Jalava, Jukka & Pohjola, Matti, 2002.
"Economic growth in the New Economy: evidence from advanced economies,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 189-210, June.
- Jalava, Jukka & Pohjola, Matti, 2001. "Economic Growth in the New Economy. Evidence from Advanced Economies," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Jalava, Jukka & Pohjola, Matti, 0. "ICT as a source of output and productivity growth in Finland," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 463-472, September.
- Dholakia, Ruby Roy & Harlam, Bari, 1994. "Telecommunications and economic development: Econometric analysis of the US experience," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 470-477, August.
- Koutroumpis, Pantelis, 2009. "The economic impact of broadband on growth: A simultaneous approach," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 471-485, October.
- Cronin, Francis J. & Parker, Edwin B. & Colleran, Elisabeth K. & Gold, Mark A., 1991. "Telecommunications infrastructure and economic growth : An analysis of causality," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 529-535, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:ejlwec:v:34:y:2012:i:2:p:347-364. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.