Simulation-Optimization via Kriging and Bootstrapping : A Survey (Revision of CentER DP 2011-064)
Abstract: This article surveys optimization of simulated systems. The simulation may be either deterministic or random. The survey reflects the author’s extensive experience with simulation-optimization through Kriging (or Gaussian process) metamodels. The analysis of these metamodels may use parametric bootstrapping for deterministic simulation or distribution-free bootstrapping (or resampling) for random simulation. The survey covers: (1) Simulation-optimization through "efficient global optimization" (EGO) using "expected improvement" (EI); this EI uses the Kriging predictor variance, which can be estimated through parametric bootstrapping accounting for estimation of the Kriging parameters. (2) Optimization with constraints for multiple random simulation outputs and deterministic inputs through mathematical programming applied to Kriging metamodels validated through distribution-free bootstrapping. (3) Taguchian robust optimization for uncertain environments, using mathematical programming— applied to Kriging metamodels— and distribution- free bootstrapping to estimate the variability of the Kriging metamodels and the resulting robust solution. (4) Bootstrapping for improving convexity or preserving monotonicity of the Kriging metamodel.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kleijnen, Jack P.C. & Deflandre, David, 2006. "Validation of regression metamodels in simulation: Bootstrap approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 120-131, April.
- Jack Kleijnen & Wim Beers & Inneke Nieuwenhuyse, 2012. "Expected improvement in efficient global optimization through bootstrapped kriging," Journal of Global Optimization, Springer, vol. 54(1), pages 59-73, September.
- Kleijnen, Jack P.C., 2009.
"Kriging metamodeling in simulation: A review,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 192(3), pages 707-716, February.
- Kleijnen, J.P.C., 2007. "Kriging Metamodeling in Simulation : A Review," Discussion Paper 2007-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Roustant, Olivier & Ginsbourger, David & Deville, Yves, 2012. "DiceKriging, DiceOptim: Two R Packages for the Analysis of Computer Experiments by Kriging-Based Metamodeling and Optimization," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 51(i01).
- Kleijnen, J.P.C. & van Beers, W.C.M. & van Nieuwenhuyse, I., 2008. "Constrained Optimization in Simulation : A Novel Approach," Discussion Paper 2008-95, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kleijnen, Jack P.C. & van Beers, W.C.M. & van Nieuwenhuyse, I., 2010. "Constrained optimization in simulation : A novel approach," Other publications TiSEM b3655866-b593-4854-a4fd-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Sridhar Bashyam & Michael C. Fu, 1998. "Optimization of (s, S) Inventory Systems with Random Lead Times and a Service Level Constraint," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-2), pages 243-256, December.
- Kleijnen, Jack P.C. & Beers, Wim van & Nieuwenhuyse, Inneke van, 2010. "Constrained optimization in expensive simulation: Novel approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(1), pages 164-174, April.
- D den Hertog & J P C Kleijnen & A Y D Siem, 2006. "The correct Kriging variance estimated by bootstrapping," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Palgrave Macmillan;The OR Society, vol. 57(4), pages 400-409, April.
- den Hertog, D. & Kleijnen, J.P.C. & Siem, A.Y.D., 2004. "The Correct Kriging Variance Estimated by Bootstrapping," Discussion Paper 2004-46, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Novikov, Ilya & Oberman, Bernice, 2007. "Optimization of large simulations using statistical software," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 2747-2752, February.
- Dellino, Gabriella & Kleijnen, Jack P.C. & Meloni, Carlo, 2010. "Robust optimization in simulation: Taguchi and Response Surface Methodology," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 52-59, May.
- Dellino, G. & Kleijnen, J.P.C. & Meloni, C., 2008. "Robust Optimization in Simulation : Taguchi and Response Surface Methodology," Discussion Paper 2008-69, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dellino, G. & Kleijnen, Jack P.C. & Meloni, C., 2010. "Robust optimization in simulation : Taguchi and Response Surface Methodology," Other publications TiSEM 6a101dae-10b0-40af-815f-0, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Christian Dehlendorff & Murat Kulahci & Klaus Kaae Andersen, 2011. "Designing simulation experiments with controllable and uncontrollable factors for applications in healthcare," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 60(1), pages 31-49, January.
- Yanikoglu, I. & den Hertog, D. & Kleijnen, Jack P.C., 2013. "Adjustable Robust Parameter Design with Unknown Distributions," Discussion Paper 2013-022, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tiu:tiucen:6ac4e049-ad86-447f-aeec-ad5d9ccc7248. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.