Inference in high-dimensional linear regression models
We introduce an asymptotically unbiased estimator for the full high-dimensional parameter vector in linear regression models where the number of variables exceeds the number of available observations. The estimator is accompanied by a closed-form expression for the covariance matrix of the estimates that is free of tuning parameters. This enables the construction of confidence intervals that are valid uniformly over the parameter vector. Estimates are obtained by using a scaled Moore-Penrose pseudoinverse as an approximate inverse of the singular empirical covariance matrix of the regressors. The approximation induces a bias, which is then corrected for using the lasso. Regularization of the pseudoinverse is shown to yield narrower confidence intervals under a suitable choice of the regularization parameter. The methods are illustrated in Monte Carlo experiments and in an empirical example where gross domestic product is explained by a large number of macroeconomic and financial indicators.
|Date of creation:||14 Mar 2017|
|Date of revision:||05 Jul 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gustav Mahlerplein 117, 1082 MS Amsterdam|
Phone: +31 (0)20 598 4580
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F. J. Steel, 2001.
"Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(5), pages 563-576.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark Steel, 1999. "Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions," Econometrics 9903003, EconWPA, revised 06 Oct 2001.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark Steel, 2001. "Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions," Econometrics 0110002, EconWPA.
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong-Wha, 1993. "International comparisons of educational attainment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 363-394, December.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 1993. "International Comparisons of Educational Attainment," NBER Working Papers 4349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chikuse, Yasuko, 1990. "The matrix angular central Gaussian distribution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 265-274, May.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Christian Hansen & Martin Spindler, 2015. "Valid Post-Selection and Post-Regularization Inference: An Elementary, General Approach," Annual Review of Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 7(1), pages 649-688, August.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Christian Hansen & Martin Spindler, 2015. "Valid Post-Selection and Post-Regularization Inference: An Elementary, General Approach," Papers 1501.03430, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2015.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Christian Hansen & Martin Spindler, 2016. "Valid post-selection and post-regularization inference: An elementary, general approach," CeMMAP working papers CWP36/16, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Mehmet Caner & Anders Bredahl Kock, 2014. "Asymptotically Honest Confidence Regions for High Dimensional Parameters by the Desparsified Conservative Lasso," CREATES Research Papers 2014-36, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Tingni Sun & Cun-Hui Zhang, 2012. "Scaled sparse linear regression," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 99(4), pages 879-898.
- Jianqing Fan & Jinchi Lv, 2008. "Sure independence screening for ultrahigh dimensional feature space," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 70(5), pages 849-911.
- Stock J.H. & Watson M.W., 2002. "Forecasting Using Principal Components From a Large Number of Predictors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 1167-1179, December.
- Cun-Hui Zhang & Stephanie S. Zhang, 2014. "Confidence intervals for low dimensional parameters in high dimensional linear models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 76(1), pages 217-242, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tin:wpaper:20170032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tinbergen Office +31 (0)10-4088900)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.