Work, Family or State? From wage inequalities to standard of living inequalities and inwork poverty in a European cross-country perspective
Our aim is to explore how wages inequalities translate into standard of living inequalities in different European countries. Wage inequalities are measured at the individual level. They can be increased or reduced by two institutions: the household and the tax-benefit system. Standards of living are therefore defined at the intersection of three institutions: the labour market, the family and the state (through social transfers). We propose a new methodology to distinguish the impact of these three institutions on standard of living inequalities. An empirical application is conducted for the employed population in different European countries with a focus on France, Spain, the United Kingdom, Germany, Sweden and Poland. Results are in line with expectations except for Germany, which does not conform to expectations for a corporatist regime.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.sciencespo.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sami Bibi & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2010.
"A Comparison Of The Poverty Impact Of Transfers, Taxes And Market Income Across Five Oecd Countries,"
Bulletin of Economic Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 387-406, October.
- Bibi, Sami & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 2008. "A Comparison of the Poverty Impact of Transfers, Taxes and Market Income across Five OECD Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 3824, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sami Bibi & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2008. "A Comparison of the Poverty Impact of Transfers, Taxes and Market Income across Five OECD Countries," Cahiers de recherche 0835, CIRPEE.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Sami Bibi, 2009. "A Comparison of the Poverty Impact of Transfers, Taxes and Market Income Across Five OECD Countries," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 770.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Sami Bibi & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2009. "A comparison of the poverty impact of transfers, taxes, and market income across five OECD countries," Working Papers 380, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/c6t1fl36hv9s7q89j8m8gcgk9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.