Approximate Equilibrium Asset Prices
This paper reconsiders the determination of asset returns in a model with Kreps-Porteus generalized isoelastic preferences where returns appear governed on the basis of Euler equations, by a combination of the two most common measures of risk -- covariance with the market return and covariance with consumption. To go beyond Euler equations and to take into account the links that the consumers' optimal behavior establishes, through a budge connstraint, between market returns and consumption, we derive an approximate consumption function (obtained, as in Campbell (1994), by log-linear approximation). Arguing that total consumer wealth is unobservable, we use this consumption function to reconstruct from observed consumption data i) the wealth that supports the agents' consumption optimal income, and ii) the rate of retun on the consumers' wealth portfolio. This procedure enables us to derive formulas that (approximately) price, in the tradition of Lucas (1978), all assets as a function of their payoffs and of consumption. The generalized consumption CAPM that we obtain is derived for both homoskedastic and heteroskedastic consumption processes. We also use our approximate pricing kernel to highlight the crucial role of temporal risk aversion in the determination of the equilibrium term structure of real interest rates.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Phillippe Weil, 1997.
"The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Risk-Free Rate Puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1833, David K. Levine.
- Weil, Philippe, 1989. "The equity premium puzzle and the risk-free rate puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 401-421, November.
- Philippe Weil, 1989. "The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Riskfree Rate Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 2829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John W. Kendrick, 1976. "The Formation and Stocks of Total Capital," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number kend76-1, October.
- John Y. Campbell, 1995.
"Understanding Risk and Return,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1711, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1985.
"The equity premium: A puzzle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-161, March.
- Alberto Giovannini & Philippe Weil, 1989. "Risk Aversion and Intertemporal Substitution in the Capital Asset Pricing Model," NBER Working Papers 2824, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kocherlakota, Narayana R, 1990. " Disentangling the Coefficient of Relative Risk Aversion from the Elasticity of Intertemporal Substitution: An Irrelevance Result," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 175-90, March.
- Dreze, Jacques H. & Modigliani, Franco, 1972. "Consumption decisions under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 308-335, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/8644. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.