Exploring heterogeneity in preferences for offshore functions, governance modes and locations
Using survey data from the Offshoring Research Network on offshoring by firms in the United-States (US) and Europe the paper explores whether preferences for offshoring certain functions, using particular governance modes, and in specific locations vary depending on the country of origin of the company making the decision. It assesses the heterogeneity between the US and Europe as well as across European countries and concludes that intra-European heterogeneity in offshoring practices is as high as heterogeneity between US and EU as a whole. The paper also shows that differences in functions offshored explain only a limited portion of differences in governance modes and offshore locations selected.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Publication status:||Published by:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP114/03, 42 avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles|
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arie Y Lewin & Silvia Massini & Carine Peeters, 2009.
"Why are companies offshoring innovation? The emerging global race for talent,"
Journal of International Business Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 40(8), pages 1406-1406, October.
- Arie Y Lewin & Silvia Massini & Carine Peeters, 2009. "Why are companies offshoring innovation? The emerging global race for talent," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 40(6), pages 901-925, August.
- Uday M. Apte & Richard O. Mason, 1995. "Global Disaggregation of Information-Intensive Services," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(7), pages 1250-1262, July.
- Bunyaratavej, Kraiwinee & Hahn, Eugene D. & Doh, Jonathan P., 2008. "Multinational investment and host country development: Location efficiencies for services offshoring," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 227-242, March.
- Graf, Michael & Mudambi, Susan M., 2005. "The outsourcing of IT-enabled business processes: A conceptual model of the location decision," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 253-268, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)