Corporate governance in microfinance: credit unions
As part of the tremendous development experienced by microfinance over the last few years, one type of institution has not generated all the attention that it could :credit unions. This can be explained by the frequent corporate governance weaknesses of this type of institution, which have been identified as a major limit and constraint to their development. This paper tries to deal with this issue by tackling the reasons why corporate governance of credit unions is so difficult to deal with, and by presenting various mechanisms and research areas which could play a role in solving this problem.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by: Université Libre de Bruxelles, Solvay Business School, Centre Emile Bernheim (CEB)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Desrochers, Martin & Fischer, Klaus P., 2002. "Corporate Governance and Depository Institutions Failure: the Case of an Emerging Market Economy," Cahiers de recherche 0201, CIRPEE.
- Martin Desrochers & Klaus P. Fischer, 2005.
"The Power of Networks: Integration and Financial Cooperative Performance,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Martin Desrochers & Klaus P. Fischer, 2005. "The Power of Networks: Integration and Financial Cooperative Performance," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 76(3), pages 307-354, 09.
- Marek Hudon, 2008.
"Norms and values of the various microfinance institutions,"
International Journal of Social Economics,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(1), pages 35-48, January.
- Marek Hudon, 2008. "Norms and Values of the Various Microfinance Institutions," Working Papers CEB 08-006.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marek Hudon, 2008. "Norms and values of the various microfinance institutions," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14208, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "The Economics of Microfinance," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512017, June.
- Martin Desrochers & Klaus P. Fischer, 2003. "Theory and Test on the Corporate Governance of Financial Cooperative Systems: Merger vs. Networks," Cahiers de recherche 0334, CIRPEE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sol:wpaper:08-003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.