Insight into the patenting performance of Belgian universities
The objective of this paper is to provide an in-depth analysis of the patenting performances of six Belgian universities over the period 1985-1999. Beside the evolution of the number of patent families, we provide insights about the potential value of these patents (through forward patent citations analysis), about the institutional sources of the knowledge (through non patent citations and backward patent citations), about their international patenting strategy, and the type of co-assignee. The results show that KUL is by far the most productive university in Belgium (both in terms of the number of patent applications and the number of forward citations per patent). This is due to a size effect, a longer history of patenting academic inventions, to a focus on bio-tech patents and to a very productive collaboration with the Institute of Organic Chemistry of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic. There is however a clear indication that a catching up process by other universities is taking place, in terms of both the quantity of patent applications and their quality.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP114/03, 42 avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles|
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eleftherios Sapsalis & Bruno van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2007.
"The Institutional Sources Of Knowledge And The Value Of Academic Patents,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 139-157.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Eleftherios Sapsalis, 2007. "The institutional sources of knowledge and the value of academic patents," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6195, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Eleftherios Sapsalis & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2005. "The institutional sources of knowledge and the value of academic patents," Working Papers CEB 04-003.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Sampat, Bhaven N. & Mowery, David C. & Ziedonis, Arvids A., 2003. "Changes in university patent quality after the Bayh-Dole act: a re-examination," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(9), pages 1371-1390, November.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scherer, F. M. & Harhoff, Dietmar, 2000. "Technology policy for a world of skew-distributed outcomes," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 559-566, April.
- Mowery, David C. & Ziedonis, Arvids A., 2002. "Academic patent quality and quantity before and after the Bayh-Dole act in the United States," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 399-418, March.
- Sapsalis, Elefthérios & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno van, 2003. "The Sources of Knowledge and the Value of Academic Patents," IIR Working Paper 03-24, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Etzkowitz, Henry, 1998. "The norms of entrepreneurial science: cognitive effects of the new university-industry linkages," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 823-833, December.
- Etzkowitz, Henry & Leydesdorff, Loet, 2000. "The dynamics of innovation: from National Systems and "Mode 2" to a Triple Helix of university-industry-government relations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 109-123, February.
- repec:fth:harver:1473 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sol:wpaper:04-009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.