Functional Distribution of Income and Economic Growth in the Chinese Economy, 1978-2007
This paper seeks to analyse the relationship between functional distribution of income, aggregate demand and growth in Chinese reform economy. For this purpose the Bhaduri-Marglin Model is used, stating the theoretical possibility of both profit-led and wage-led growth regimes. Subsequently, the principal literature on the evolution of factor's shares in China is reviewed. The statistical series for the period 1978-2007 are reconstructed in order to carry out our analysis of the relations between capital's share and investment, on one hand; and labour's share and consumption, on the other. Supported by the Model's preliminary estimations, it is argued that Chinese growth has been largely profit-driven. Finally, the implications are presented vis-a-vis concerning Chinese economic prospects.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.soas.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eckhard Hein & Lena Vogel, 2008. "Distribution and growth reconsidered: empirical results for six OECD countries," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(3), pages 479-511, May.
- Xinhua He & Yongfu Cao, 2007. "Understanding High Saving Rate in China," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 15(1), pages 1-13.
- Engelbert Stockhammer & Özlem Onaran & Stefan Ederer, 2007.
"Functional income distribution and aggregate demand in the Euro-area,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
wuwp102, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Engelbert Stockhammer & �zlem Onaran & Stefan Ederer, 2009. "Functional income distribution and aggregate demand in the Euro area," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(1), pages 139-159, January.
- Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua, 2007.
"China's (uneven) progress against poverty,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 1-42, January.
- Minami, Ryoshin & Hondai, Susumu, 1995. "An Evaluation of the Enterprise Reform in China: Income Share of Labor and Profitability in the Machine Industry," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 36(2), pages 125-143, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:soa:wpaper:168. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duo QIN)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.