Enabling Business-Preference-Based Scheduling of Cloud Computing Resources
Although cloud computing technology gets increasingly sophisticated, a resource allocation method still has to be proposed that allows providers to take into consideration the preferences of their customers. The existing engineering-based and economics-based resource allocation methods do not take into account jointly the different objectives that engineers and marketing employees of a cloud provider company follow. This article addresses this issue by presenting the system architecture and, in particular, the business-preference-based scheduling algorithm that integrates the engineering aspects of resource allocation with the economics aspects of resource allocation. To show the workings of the new business-preference-based scheduling algorithm, which integrates a yield management method and a priority-based scheduling method, a simulation has been performed. The results obtained are compared with results from the First-Come-First-Serve scheduling algorithm. The comparison shows that the proposed scheduling algorithm achieves higher revenue than the engineering-based scheduling algorithm.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2016|
|Date of revision:||Apr 2017|
|Publication status:||Published in Proceedings of GECON 2016, Athens, Greece.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 599 Gwanak-Ro, Gwanak-Gu, Seoul 151-744|
Web page: http://temep.snu.ac.kr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter P. Belobaba, 1987. "Survey Paper---Airline Yield Management An Overview of Seat Inventory Control," Transportation Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(2), pages 63-73, May.
- Jorn Altmann & Mohammad Mahdi Kashef, 2014. "Cost Model Based Service Placement in Federated Hybrid Clouds," TEMEP Discussion Papers 2014116, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Sep 2014.
- Keith Jeferry & George Kousiouris & Dimosthenis Kyriazis & Jörn Altmann & Augusto Ciuffoletti & Ilias Maglogiannis & Paolo Nesi & Bojan Suzic & Zhiming Zhao, 2015. "Challenges Emerging from Future Cloud Application Scenarios," TEMEP Discussion Papers 2015126, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Sep 2015.
- Jorn Altmann & Costas Courcoubetis & Marcel Risch, 2010. "A Marketplace and its Market Mechanism for Trading Commoditized Computing Resources," TEMEP Discussion Papers 201059, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Mar 2010.
- Serguei Netessine & Robert Shumsky, 2002. "Introduction to the Theory and Practice of Yield Management," INFORMS Transactions on Education, INFORMS, vol. 3(1), pages 34-44, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:snv:dp2009:2016134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jorn Altmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.