Indicators of Labour Market Conditions in Canada
There are three main objectives for this report. The first is to ascertain to what degree the unemployment rate is an adequate predictor of labour market conditions in the context of the changing economy. Labour market conditions refer to the state of the labour market and encompass different dimensions. The second is to assess the suitability of other labour market indicators as predictors of labour market conditions. The third is to discuss the feasibility of aggregating relevant labour market indicators into a composite indicator of labour market conditions that might be considered for use in the design of government programs. This report concludes that the unemployment rate is actually a good indicator of labour market conditions, although it is wise to supplement it with additional indicators. The construction of composite indices does not seem to provide much more information on labour market conditions than the unemployment rate does.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 151 Slater Street, Suite 710, Ottawa, ON K1P 5H3|
Web page: http://www.csls.ca/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.csls.ca Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Osberg, Lars & Sharpe, Andrew, 2002. "An Index of Economic Well-Being for Selected OECD Countries," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(3), pages 291-316, September.
- Osberg, L. & Sharpe, A., 1998. "An Index of Economic Well-being for Canada," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive 98-08, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- W Craig Riddell, .
"Measuring Unemployment and Structural Unemployment,"
Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers
34, McMaster University.
- W. Craig Riddell, 2000. "Measuring Unemployment and Structural Unemployment," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 26(s1), pages 101-108, July.
- Lars Osberg & Andrew Sharpe, 2003. "An Index of Labour Market Well-being for OECD Countries," CSLS Research Reports 2003-05, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, revised Jan 2004.
- Lars Osberg & Andrew Sharpe, 2010. "The Index of Economic Well-Being," Challenge, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 53(4), pages 25-42, July.
- Lars Osberg & Andrew Sharpe, 2005. "How Should We Measure The "Economic" Aspects Of Well-Being?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(2), pages 311-336, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sls:resrep:0703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CSLS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.