New Insights on the Relationship between Geographic and Institutional Distance in Research Collaborations: A Long Period Analysis
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Michelle Gittelman, 2005. "What Makes Research Socially Useful ? Complementarities between in-House Research and Firm-University Collaboration in Biotechnology," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 110(1), pages 57-73.
- Corinne Autant‐Bernard & Pascal Billand & David Frachisse & Nadine Massard, 2007.
"Social distance versus spatial distance in R&D cooperation: Empirical evidence from European collaboration choices in micro and nanotechnologies,"
Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(3), pages 495-519, August.
- Corinne Autant-Bernard & Pascal Billand & Nadine Massard & David Frachisse, 2007. "Social distance versus spatial distance in R & D cooperation: Empirical evidence from European collaboration choices in micro and nanotechnologies," Post-Print ujm-00176420, HAL.
- Pablo D'Este & Simona Iammarino, 2010. "The spatial profile of university‐business research partnerships," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(2), pages 335-350, June.
- Rosamaria D'Amore & Roberto Iorio & Sandrine Labory & Agnieszka Stawinoga, 2013. "Research Collaboration Networks in Biotechnology: Exploring the Trade-Off Between Institutional and Geographic Distances," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 261-276, April.
- Broström, Anders, 2010.
"Working with distant researchers--Distance and content in university-industry interaction,"
Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1311-1320, December.
- Broström, Anders, 2009. "Working with Distant Researchers - distance and content in university-industry interaction," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 173, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- D'Este, P. & Patel, P., 2007. "University-industry linkages in the UK: What are the factors underlying the variety of interactions with industry?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 1295-1313, November.
- McKelvey, Maureen & Alm, Hakan & Riccaboni, Massimo, 2003. "Does co-location matter for formal knowledge collaboration in the Swedish biotechnology-pharmaceutical sector?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 483-501, March.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
- Roberto Iorio & Sandrine Labory & Daniele Paci, 2012. "Research Collaboration and Publication's Citation Impact: Evidence in the Italian Biotech Sector," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 75-100.
- Murray, Fiona & Stern, Scott, 2007. "Do formal intellectual property rights hinder the free flow of scientific knowledge?: An empirical test of the anti-commons hypothesis," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 648-687, August.
- Fiona E. Murray & Scott Stern, 2007. "Do Formal Intellectual Property Rights Hinder the Free Flow of Scientific Knowledge?: An Empirical Test of the Anti-Commons Hypothesis," NBER Chapters, in: Academic Science and Entrepreneurship: Dual Engines of Growth, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alessandro Muscio, 2013. "University-industry linkages: What are the determinants of distance in collaborations?," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(4), pages 715-739, November.
- Michelle Gittelman & Bruce Kogut, 2003. "Does Good Science Lead to Valuable Knowledge? Biotechnology Firms and the Evolutionary Logic of Citation Patterns," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(4), pages 366-382, April.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- Thomas Scherngell & Michael Barber, 2011. "Distinct spatial characteristics of industrial and public research collaborations: evidence from the fifth EU Framework Programme," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 46(2), pages 247-266, April.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Rosamaria D'Amore & Roberto Iorio & Agnieszka Stawinoga, 2012. "Who and Where are the Co-Authors? The Relationship between Institutional and Geographical Distance in Scientific Publications," Working Papers 3_221, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Statistiche, Università degli Studi di Salerno.
- Rosamaria D'Amore & Roberto Iorio & Sandrine Labory & Agnieszka Stawinoga, 2012. "How Do the Institutions Involved in Scientific Collaboration Deal with Different Kinds of Distance? An Analysis of the Co-Autorships of Scientific Publications," Working Papers 3_222, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Statistiche, Università degli Studi di Salerno.
- Maietta, Ornella Wanda, 2015. "Determinants of university–firm R&D collaboration and its impact on innovation: A perspective from a low-tech industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1341-1359.
- Perkmann, Markus & Walsh, Kathryn, 2008. "Engaging the scholar: Three types of academic consulting and their impact on universities and industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 1884-1891, December.
- Claudia Fuentes & Gabriela Dutrénit, 2016. "Geographic proximity and university–industry interaction: the case of Mexico," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 329-348, April.
- Leten, Bart & Landoni, Paolo & Van Looy, Bart, 2014. "Science or graduates: How do firms benefit from the proximity of universities?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(8), pages 1398-1412.
- Anna Giunta & Filippo M. Pericoli & Eleonora Pierucci, 2016. "University–Industry collaboration in the biopharmaceuticals: the Italian case," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 41(4), pages 818-840, August.
- Eleonora Pierucci, 2015. "University-industry linkages. Among italian regions: a supply-demand analysis," RIVISTA DI ECONOMIA E STATISTICA DEL TERRITORIO, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2015(2), pages 5-33.
- Koen Frenken & Roderik Ponds & Frank Van Oort, 2010.
"The citation impact of research collaboration in science‐based industries: A spatial‐institutional analysis,"
Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(2), pages 351-271, June.
- Koen Frenken & Roderik Ponds & Frank van Oort, 2010. "The citation impact of research collaboration in science-based industries: A spatial-institutional analysis," Working Papers 10-02, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies, revised Mar 2010.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Daniele Biancardi & Mabel Sanchez Barrioluengo & Federico Biagi, 2019. "Study on Higher Education Institutions and Local Development," JRC Working Papers JRC117272, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Pierre-Alexandre Balland & Ron Boschma, 2021. "Do scientific capabilities in specific domains matter for technological diversification in European regions?," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 2116, Utrecht University, Department of Human Geography and Spatial Planning, Group Economic Geography, revised May 2021.
- Alberto Marzucchi & Davide Antonioli & Sandro Montresor, 2012.
"Research cooperation within and across regional boundaries. Does innovation policy add anything?,"
JRC Working Papers
JRC76320, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Alberto Marzucchi & Davide Antonioli & Sandro Montresor, 2012. "Research cooperation within and across regional boundaries. Does innovation policy add anything?," JRC Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2012-04, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Chen, Guanghua & Yang, Guoliang & He, Feng & Chen, Kaihua, 2019. "Exploring the effect of political borders on university-industry collaborative research performance: Evidence from Chinaâ€™s Guangdong province," Technovation, Elsevier, vol. 82, pages 58-69.
- Ron Boschma & Simona Iammarino & Raffaele Paci & Jordy Suriñach & Corinne Autant-Bernard & Sylvie Chalaye & Elisa Gagliardini & Stefano Usai, 2017.
"European Knowledge Neighbourhood: Knowledge Production in EU Neighbouring Countries and Intensity of the Relationship with EU Countries,"
Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 108(1), pages 52-75, February.
- Corinne Autant-Bernard & Sylvie Chalaye & Elisa Gagliardini & Stefano Usai, 2017. "European Knowledge Neighbourhood: Knowledge production in EU neighboring countries and intensity of the relationship with EU countries," Post-Print halshs-01196629, HAL.
- Gans, Joshua S. & Murray, Fiona E. & Stern, Scott, 2017.
"Contracting over the disclosure of scientific knowledge: Intellectual property and academic publication,"
Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 820-835.
- Joshua S. Gans & Fiona E. Murray & Scott Stern, 2013. "Contracting Over the Disclosure of Scientific Knowledge: Intellectual Property and Academic Publication," NBER Working Papers 19560, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yong-Gil Lee, 2010. "Sectoral strategic differences of technological development between electronics and chemistry: a historical view from analyses of Korean-invented US patents during the period of 1989–1992," Scientometrics, Springer;Akadémiai Kiadó, vol. 82(1), pages 83-92, January.
- Christian Omobhude & Shih-Hsin Chen, 2019. "The Roles and Measurements of Proximity in Sustained Technology Development: A Literature Review," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Aldo Geuna & Alessandro Muscio, 2008. "The governance of University knowledge transfer," SPRU Working Paper Series 173, SPRU - Science Policy Research Unit, University of Sussex Business School.
- Di Cagno, Daniela & Fabrizi, Andrea & Meliciani, Valentina & Wanzenböck, Iris, 2016.
"The impact of relational spillovers from joint research projects on knowledge creation across European regions,"
Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 108(C), pages 83-94.
- Daniela Di Cagno & Andrea Fabrizi & Velentina Meliciani & Iris Wanzenböck, 2015. "The Impact Of Relational Spillovers From Joint Research Projects On Knowledge Creation Across European Regions," Working Papers LuissLab 15116, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Iris Wanzenböck & Thomas Scherngell & Thomas Brenner, 2014. "Embeddedness of regions in European knowledge networks: a comparative analysis of inter-regional R&D collaborations, co-patents and co-publications," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 53(2), pages 337-368, September.
More about this item
Keywordsuniversity-industry collaboration; co-autorships; knowledge flows; scientific and technological policy.;
All these keywords.
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- O31 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O32 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sep:wpaper:3_229. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/dssalit.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Maria Rizzo (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/dssalit.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.