New Insights On The Relationships Between Geographic And Institutional Distance In Research Collaborations:A Long Period Analysis
This paper analyses the relationship between institutional and geographic distance in scientific collaborations, evaluating the possible changes when a long period (sixteen years) is taken into consideration and discussing the use of some alternative measures of institutional distance. The main result, obtained by analysing the publications of the Italian biotech firms, is that international publications present an higher institutional distance than national papers, particularly in the early years, while there is no significant difference in institutional distance between regional and extra-regional papers, suggesting that opposite incentives are in action at different geographic scales and in different periods.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Working Papers, June 2014, pages 1-24|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dises.unisa.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Broström, Anders, 2010.
"Working with distant researchers--Distance and content in university-industry interaction,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1311-1320, December.
- Broström, Anders, 2009. "Working with Distant Researchers - distance and content in university-industry interaction," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 173, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Fiona E. Murray & Scott Stern, 2007. "Do Formal Intellectual Property Rights Hinder the Free Flow of Scientific Knowledge?: An Empirical Test of the Anti-Commons Hypothesis," NBER Chapters, in: Academic Science and Entrepreneurship: Dual Engines of Growth National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosamaria D'Amore & Roberto Iorio & Sandrine Labory & Agnieszka Stawinoga, 2013. "Research Collaboration Networks in Biotechnology: Exploring the Trade-Off Between Institutional and Geographic Distances," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 261-276, April.
- D'Este, P. & Patel, P., 2007. "University-industry linkages in the UK: What are the factors underlying the variety of interactions with industry?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 1295-1313, November.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- McKelvey, Maureen & Alm, Hakan & Riccaboni, Massimo, 2003. "Does co-location matter for formal knowledge collaboration in the Swedish biotechnology-pharmaceutical sector?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 483-501, March.
- Michelle Gittelman, 2005. "What Makes Research Socially Useful ? Complementarities between in-House Research and Firm-University Collaboration in Biotechnology," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 110(1), pages 57-73.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
- Murray, Fiona & Stern, Scott, 2007. "Do formal intellectual property rights hinder the free flow of scientific knowledge?: An empirical test of the anti-commons hypothesis," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 648-687, August.
- Michelle Gittelman & Bruce Kogut, 2003. "Does Good Science Lead to Valuable Knowledge? Biotechnology Firms and the Evolutionary Logic of Citation Patterns," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(4), pages 366-382, April.
- Pablo D'Este & Simona Iammarino, 2010. "The spatial profile of university-business research partnerships," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(2), pages 335-350, 06.
- Thomas Scherngell & Michael Barber, 2011. "Distinct spatial characteristics of industrial and public research collaborations: evidence from the fifth EU Framework Programme," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 247-266, April.
- repec:rie:review:v:17:y:2012:i:1:n:3 is not listed on IDEAS
- Iorio Roberto & Labory Sandrine & Paci Daniele, 2012. "Research Collaboration and Publication's Citation Impact: Evidence in the Italian Biotech Sector," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 75-100.
- Alessandro Muscio, 2013. "University-industry linkages: What are the determinants of distance in collaborations?," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(4), pages 715-739, November.
- Corinne Autant-Bernard & Pascal Billand & David Frachisse & Nadine Massard, 2007. "Social distance versus spatial distance in R&D cooperation: Empirical evidence from European collaboration choices in micro and nanotechnologies," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(3), pages 495-519, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sep:wpaper:3_229. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Rizzo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.