Growth and Performance Factors in Polish Manufacturing Firms in 1998-2003 in the Light of Survey Data
We investigate possible factors of change in employment between 1998 and 2003 in 220 companies from four industries of Polish manufacturing (food, electronics, automotive and pharmaceuticals), that were subject to an enterprise survey. We also seek to explain the differences in performance among companies. We find that firms that were more competitive and more innovative laid off relatively less workers. Ownership status and history seem to be relevant factors too, as companies that were started as private businesses slightly increased employment, while the state-owned enterprises experienced proportionally the largest employment cuts; as for privatized companies, those taken over earlier performed better in terms of employment than those privatized later. However, econometric analysis of premia of early privatization and foreign ownership showed that only the latter factor played a significantly positive role for companies' revenues, productivity, profitability and the level of wages.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +48 22 206 29 00
Fax: +48 22 206 29 01
Web page: http://www.case-research.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demsetz, Harold, 1982.
"Barriers to Entry,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 47-57, March.
- Simeon Djankov & Rafael La Porta & Florencio LopezdeSilanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000.
"The Regulation of Entry,"
NBER Working Papers
7892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simeon Djankov & Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andre Shleifer, 2000. "The Regulation of Entry," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1904, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Djankov, Simeon & La Porta, Rafael & Shleifer, Andrei & Lopez de Silanes, Florencio, 2001. "The regulation of entry," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2661, The World Bank.
- Djankov, Simeon & La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001. "The Regulation of Entry," Working Paper Series rwp01-015, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Simeon Djankov & Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, . "The Regulation of Entry," Working Paper 19462, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Djankov, Simeon & La Porta, Rafael & López-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001. "The Regulation of Entry," CEPR Discussion Papers 2953, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- C.C. von Weizsaker, 1980. "A Welfare Analysis of Barriers to Entry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(2), pages 399-420, Autumn.
- Vladimir Dubrovskiy, 2006. "Towards Effective Anti-Corruption Strategies in Ukraine: Removing the Cornerstone without Toppling the Building," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0322, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sec:cnstan:0323. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Agata Kwiek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.