Interbank market under the currency board: Case of Lithuania
This paper studies the liquidity effect in the environment of a currency board. Under such an environment, the endogeneity issue common to other monetary regimes does not arise, thereby allowing for a straightforward analysis. Using daily data from the interbank market in Lithuania, we estimate the liquidity effect and show that, contrarily to the existent literature, overnight interest rates tend to fall at the end of reserve holding period while being higher at the beginning. Thus the martingale hypothesis of the interest rates is rejected. It is also shown that banks do not utilize aggregate liquidity information provided by the Central Bank of Lithuania due to the structural impediments of the market
|Date of creation:||11 Nov 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://comp-econ.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamilton, James D, 1997.
"Measuring the Liquidity Effect,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(1), pages 80-97, March.
- Vítor Gaspar & Gabriel Pérez-Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez Mendizábal, 2004.
"Interest rate determination in the interbank market,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
0407, Banco de Espa�a.
- Gaspar, Vítor & Pérez Quirós, Gabriel & Rodríguez Mendizábal, Hugo, 2004. "Interest rate determination in the interbank market," Working Paper Series 0351, European Central Bank.
- Vitor Gaspar & Gabriel Pérez Quir? & Hugo Rodr?uez Mendiz?al, 2004. "Interest Rate Determination in the Interbank Market," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 603.04, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Gaspar, Vítor & Pérez-Quirós, Gabriel & Rodriguez Mendizabal, Hugo, 2004. "Interest Rate Determination in the Interbank Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 4516, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christian Ewerhart & Nuno Cassola & Steen Ejerskov & Natacha Valla, .
"Liquidity, Information, and the Overnight Rate,"
IEW - Working Papers
186, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Moschitz, Julius, 2004. "The determinants of the overnight interest rate in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0393, European Central Bank.
- Malmsten, Hans, 2004. "Evaluating exponential GARCH models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 564, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 03 Sep 2004.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sce:scecf5:448. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.