Optimal Fiscal Policy In A Business Cycle Model: Alternative Identifications Of The Optimal Expost Capital Income Tax Rates
This paper deals with the indeterminacy of optimal fiscal policy treated by Zhu (1992) and Chari, Christiano and Kehoe (1994). These authors identify the optimal fiscal policy restricting the debt return to be uncontingent to the state of nature. In this paper we use other kind of restrictions in order to identify the optimal fiscal policy. Using the solution method proposed by Sims (1998), we can select an equilibrium by enforcing a stable path for the bonds allocation, to identify all the fiscal policy variables contingent to the state of nature. We also use a decomposition of the expectational terms that allow us to obtain the ex-ante capital income tax rate in order to be compared with the ex-post (contingent) tax rate. We can demonstrate that the risk aversion changes the relationship between the expectational errors of the private agents and the sources of fluctuations. The numerical simulation provides some different results: the optimal tax rate on capital incom e is constant, instead of the very volatile tax rate obtained by Chari, Christiano and Kehoe (1994). This property remains unaltered when we use alternative restrictions (exogenous debt path and exogenous expectational errors) to identify the contingent optimal fiscal policy.
|Date of creation:||05 Jul 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +34 93 542 17 46
Web page: http://enginy.upf.es/SCE/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Farmer, Roger E A, 1997.
"Money in a Real Business Cycle Model,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1630, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Farmer, Roger E A, 1997. "Money in a Real Business Cycle Model," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(4), pages 568-611, November.
- Roger E. A. Farmer, 1997. "Money in a real business cycle model," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Nov, pages 568-623.
- Kevin J. Lansing, 1998. "Optimal Fiscal Policy in a Business Cycle Model with Public Capital," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(2), pages 337-364, May.
- Andrew Scott, 1999.
"Does Tax Smoothing Imply Smooth Taxes?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0429, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E A, 1996.
"Indeterminacy and Sector-specific Externalities,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1403, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1996. "Indeterminacy and Sector-Specific Externalities," Working Papers 96-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1995. "Indeterminacy and Sector-Specific Externalities," Working Papers 95-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Roger E.A. Farmer, 1994. "Indeterminacy and Sector-Specific Externalities," UCLA Economics Working Papers 722, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1991.
"Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns,"
91-59, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 1998.
"Sticky price models of the business cycle: can the contract multiplier solve the persistence problem?,"
217, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2000. "Sticky Price Models of the Business Cycle: Can the Contract Multiplier Solve the Persistence Problem?," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1151-1180, September.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 1996. "Sticky Price Models of the Business Cycle: Can the Contract Multiplier Solve the Persistence Problem?," NBER Working Papers 5809, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Albert Marcet & Thomas J. Sargent & Juha Seppala, 1996.
"Optimal taxation without state-contingent debt,"
Economics Working Papers
170, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2001.
- V.V. Chari & Lawrence J. Christiano & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1993.
"Optimal fiscal policy in a business cycle model,"
160, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Larry E. Jones & Rodolfo E. Manuelli & Peter E. Rossi, 1993.
"On the Optimal Taxation of Capital Income,"
NBER Working Papers
4525, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1982.
"Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy in an Economy Without Capital,"
532, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Lucas, Robert Jr. & Stokey, Nancy L., 1983. "Optimal fiscal and monetary policy in an economy without capital," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 55-93.
- Roger E. A. Farmer, 1999. "Macroeconomics of Self-fulfilling Prophecies, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262062038, June.
- Alfonso Novales & Emilio Dominguez & Javier J. Perez & Jesus Ruiz, 1998. "Solving Non-linear Rational Expectations Models By Eigenvalue-Eigenvector Decompositions," QM&RBC Codes 124, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- V. V. Chari & Lawrence J. Christiano & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1991. "Optimal fiscal policy in a stochastic growth model (technical appendix)," Working Papers 473, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Azariadis, Costas, 1981. "Self-fulfilling prophecies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 380-396, December.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1990. "Supply-Side Economics: An Analytical Review," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(2), pages 293-316, April.
- Bohn, Henning, 1994.
"Optimal state-contingent capital taxation: when is there an indeterminacy?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 125-137, August.
- Henning Bohn, . "Optimal State-Contingent Capital Taxation: When is there and Indeterminancy?," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 16-91, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Chamley, Christophe, 1986. "Optimal Taxation of Capital Income in General Equilibrium with Infinite Lives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 607-22, May.
- Jones, Larry E & Manuelli, Rodolfo E & Rossi, Peter E, 1993. "Optimal Taxation in Models of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 485-517, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sce:scecf0:351. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.