Output Persistence from Monetary Shocks with Staggered Prices or Wages under a Taylor Rule
We analytically examine output persistence from monetary shocks in a DSGE model with staggered prices or wages under a Taylor Rule for monetary policy. The best known such model assumes Calvo-style staggering of prices and flexible wages and is known to yield no persistence under a Taylor Rule. Switching to Taylor-style staggering introduces lagged output into the model’s ‘New Keynesian Phillips Curve’ equation. Despite this, we show it generates no persistence, whether staggering is in wages or prices. Surprisingly, however, Calvo-style staggering of wages does generate persistence, if there are decreasing returns to labour.
|Date of creation:||May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01334 462420
Fax: 01334 462444
Web page: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cdma
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rochelle M. Edge, 2002.
"The Equivalence of Wage and Price Staggering in Monetary Business Cycle Models,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 5(3), pages 559-585, July.
- Rochelle M. Edge, 2001. "Online Appendix to "The Equivalence of Wage and Price Staggering in Monetary Business Cycle Models"," Technical Appendices edge01, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Rochelle M. Edge, 2000. "The equivalence of wage and price staggering in monetary business cycle models," International Finance Discussion Papers 672, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Roberts, John M, 1995. "New Keynesian Economics and the Phillips Curve," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(4), pages 975-84, November.
- Kaushik Mitra & James Bullard, .
"Learning About Monetary Policy Rules,"
00/41, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Julio Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1997. "An Optimization-Based Econometric Framework for the Evaluation of Monetary Policy," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1997, Volume 12, pages 297-361 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2000.
"Sticky Price Models of the Business Cycle: Can the Contract Multiplier Solve the Persistence Problem?,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1151-1180, September.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 1996. "Sticky Price Models of the Business Cycle: Can the Contract Multiplier Solve the Persistence Problem?," NBER Working Papers 5809, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 1998. "Sticky price models of the business cycle: can the contract multiplier solve the persistence problem?," Staff Report 217, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Taylor, John B., 1993. "Discretion versus policy rules in practice," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 195-214, December.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kahn, Charles M, 1980. "The Solution of Linear Difference Models under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1305-11, July.
- Ascari, Guido, 2000.
"Optimising Agents, Staggered Wages and Persistence in the Real Effects of Money Shocks,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 664-86, July.
- Ascari, G., 1997. "Optimizing Agents, Staggered Wages and Persistence in the Real Effects of Money Shocks," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 486, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Sebastiano Daros & Neil Rankin, 2009.
" Output Persistence from Monetary Shocks with Staggered Prices or Wages under a Taylor Rule,"
CDMA Conference Paper Series
0906, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Daros, Sebastiano & Rankin, Neil, 2009. "Output persistence from monetary shocks with staggered prices or wages under a Taylor Rule," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 148-151, November.
- Taylor, John B, 1979. "Staggered Wage Setting in a Macro Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 108-13, May.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 2007.
"E-stability vis-a-vis determinacy results for a broad class of linear rational expectations models,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 1376-1391, April.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 2006. "E-Stability vis-a-vis Determinacy Results for a Broad Class of Linear Rational Expectations Models," NBER Working Papers 12441, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:san:cdmacp:0906. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bram Boskamp)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.