Analyst Recommendations and Nasdaq Market Making Activity
I investigate the linkage between liquidity provision by Nasdaq market makers and analysts in the same firm. Using three measures of market activity, I find that Nasdaq firms are more likely to provide buy side liquidity in anticipation of upgrades in the period 1999-2000. ECN activity supports this pattern. Firm level evidence shows that 15 of 42 market makers studied engage in significant pre-recommendation activity. I estimate cumulative abnormal returns of more than 75% and profits of almost $600 million in a sample of 47 large capitalization stocks.
|Date of creation:||10 Aug 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: New Jersey Hall - 75 Hamilton Street, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1248|
Phone: (732) 932-7363
Fax: (732) 932-7416
Web page: http://economics.rutgers.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schultz, Paul, 2003. "Who makes markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 49-72, January.
- Bruce Mizrach & Yijie Zhang, 2000. "Should ECNs be SOES-able?," Departmental Working Papers 200010, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Warren Bailey & Haitao Li & Connie X. Mao & Rui Zhong, 2003. "Regulation Fair Disclosure and Earnings Information: Market, Analyst, and Corporate Responses," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(6), pages 2487-2514, December.
- Reena Aggarwal & Pat Conroy, 2000. "Price Discovery in Initial Public Offerings and the Role of the Lead Underwriter," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2903-2922, December.
- Michaely, Roni & Womack, Kent L, 1999. "Conflict of Interest and the Credibility of Underwriter Analyst Recommendations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(4), pages 653-86.
- Yusif Simaan & Daniel G. Weaver & David K. Whitcomb, 2003. "Market Maker Quotation Behavior and Pretrade Transparency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(3), pages 1247-1268, 06.
- Bruce Mizrach, 2002. "The Next Tick on Nasdaq: Does Level II Information Matter?," Departmental Working Papers 200202, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rut:rutres:200307. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.