Developing Asian Local Currency Bond Markets: Why and How?
This paper examines the motivation for, and the success of, regional efforts in Asia to promote local currency bond markets. The analysis demonstrates that Asian local currency bond markets made substantial gains as a region going into the current global financial crisis. However, we argue that the current financial crisis requires a reassessment of the merits of promoting local currency bond markets and the gains that have been made to date. While most of the initial motivations for encouraging the development of domestic local currency bond markets appear to remain valid, there are some exceptions. However, the degree to which success in the development of these markets will be sustained remains unknown until global financial markets regain tranquility and official interventions into these markets are removed.
|Date of creation:||21 Dec 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan|
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan A. Batten & Peter G. Szilagyi, 2007. "Domestic Bond Market Development: The Arirang Bond Experience in Korea," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 22(2), pages 165-195, September.
- Robert McCauley & Guorong Jiang, 2004. "Diversifying with Asian local currency bonds," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher & Refet S Güürkaynak & Eric T Swanson, 2011.
"Convergence and Anchoring of Yield Curves in the Euro Area,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 350-364, February.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel & Gürkaynak, Refet S. & Swanson, Eric T, 2007. "Convergence and Anchoring of Yield Curves in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 6456, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel & Swanson, Eric & Gürkaynak, Refet S., 2007. "Convergence and anchoring of yield curves in the euro area," Working Paper Series 817, European Central Bank.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher & Refet S. Gürkaynak & Eric T. Swanson, 2007. "Convergence and anchoring of yield curves in the Euro area," Working Paper Series 2007-24, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Refet Gurkaynak & Marcel Fratzscher & Eric Swanson & Michael Ehrmann, 2009. "Convergence And Anchoring Of Yield Curves In The Euro Area," 2009 Meeting Papers 897, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Refet S. Gürkaynak & Brian Sack & Eric Swanson, 2005. "The Sensitivity of Long-Term Interest Rates to Economic News: Evidence and Implications for Macroeconomic Models," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 425-436, March.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2006. "The Parallel-Currency Approach to Asian Monetary Integration," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 432-436, May.
- Ferri, Giovanni & Lacitignola, Punziana & Lee, Jeong Yeon, 2013. "Foreign ownership and the credibility of national rating agencies: Evidence from Korea," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 762-776.
- Kawai, Masahiro, 2005. "East Asian economic regionalism: progress and challenges," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 29-55, February.
- Guorong Jiang & Robert McCauley, 2004. "Asian local currency bond markets," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, June.
- Burger, John D. & Warnock, Francis E., 2007. "Foreign participation in local currency bond markets," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 291-304.
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2004. "Foreign participation in local-currency bond markets," International Finance Discussion Papers 794, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2006. "Foreign Participation in Local Currency Bond Markets," NBER Working Papers 12548, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Galina Hale & Mark M. Spiegel, 2008. "Who drove the boom in euro-denominated bond issues?," Working Paper Series 2008-20, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Nicholas R. Lardy, 2008. "Financial Repression in China," Policy Briefs PB08-8, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Susan Black & Anella Munro, 2010. "Why issue bonds offshore?," BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The international financial crisis and policy challenges in Asia and the Pacific, volume 52, pages 97-144 Bank for International Settlements.
- Susan Black & Anella Munro, 2010. "Why issue bonds offshore?," BIS Working Papers 334, Bank for International Settlements.
- Tae-Shin Kwon, 2006. "For the advent of a promising and sound Asian bond market," BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Asian bond markets: issues and prospects, volume 30, pages 13-15 Bank for International Settlements.
- Fumiaki Nishi & Alexander Vergus, 2006. "Asian bond issues in Tokyo: history, structure and prospects," BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Asian bond markets: issues and prospects, volume 30, pages 143-167 Bank for International Settlements. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)