A False Perception? The relative riskiness of AIM and listed Stocks
This research examines the perception that the AIM market is riskier than the Official List market in comparable stocks. The empirical analysis uses high frequency data for January 2000 to December 2004 on 533 AIM stocks and 264 comparable Official List stocks. Risk is measured in a variety of ways. At a superficial level AIM stocks appear riskier than comparable Official List stocks. However, as the analysis is refined to ensure the comparison focuses purely on the effects of being listed on different markets, the additional AIM risk shrinks and finally disappears. This conclusion concurs with the current market practitioner view that there is no significant risk differential.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 118 378 8226
Fax: +44 (0) 118 975 0236
Web page: http://www.henley.reading.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kutsuna, Kenji & Okamura, Hideo & Cowling, Marc, 2002. "Ownership structure pre- and post-IPOs and the operating performance of JASDAQ companies," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 163-181, April.
- K. McCaffrey & P. Hamill, 2000. "Dividend initiation announcements effects in initial public offerings," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 533-542.
- J. F. Bacmann & M. Dubois & C. Ertur, 2002. "Valuation Effects of Listing on a More Prominent Segment of the Stock Market: Evidence from France," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 8(4), pages 479-493.
- Sami Torstila, 2001. "What Determines IPO Gross Spreads in Europe?," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 7(4), pages 523-541.
- Kenji Kutsuna & Marc Cowling & Paul Westhead, 2000. "The short-run performance of JASDAQ companies and venture capital involvement before and after flotation," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Ying, Louis K. W. & Lewellen, Wilbur G. & Schlarbaum, Gary G. & Lease, Ronald C., 1977. "Stock Exchange Listings and Securities Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 415-432, September.
- Reena Aggarwal & James J. Angel, .
"The Rise and Fall of the AMEX Emerging Company Marketplace,"
_002, Georgetown School of Business.
- Aggarwal, Reena & Angel, James J., 1999. "The rise and fall of the Amex Emerging Company Marketplace," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 257-289, May.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:2002101 is not listed on IDEAS
- Franzke, Stefanie A. & Schlag, Christian, 2003. "Over-allotment options in IPOs on Germany's Neuer Markt: An empirical investigation," CFS Working Paper Series 2002/16, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Wagner, Niklas, 2004. "Time-varying moments, idiosyncratic risk, and an application to hot-issue IPO aftermarket returns," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 59-72, April.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200246 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christian Leuz, 2003. "IAS Versus U.S. GAAP: Information Asymmetry-Based Evidence from Germany's New Market," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 445-472, 06.
- William P. Rees, 1997. "The Arrival Rate of Initial Public Offers in the UK," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 3(1), pages 45-62.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rdg:icmadp:icma-dp2006-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ed Quick)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.