Modelling Retail Deposit Spreads in the UK
Models that are based on mean-variance analysis seek portfolio weights to minimise the variance of the portfolio for a given level of return. The portfolio variance is measured using a covariance matrix that represents the volatility and correlation of asset returns. However these matrices are notoriously difficult to estimate and ad hoc methods often need to be applied to limit or smooth the mean-variance efficient allocations that are recommended by the model. Moreover the mean-variance criterion has nothing to ensure that tracking errors are stationary. Although the portfolios will be efficient, the tracking errors will in all probability be random walks. Therefore the replicating portfolio can drift very far from the benchmark unless it is frequently re-balanced.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 218, Whiteknights, Reading, Berks, RG6 6AA|
Phone: +44 (0) 118 378 8226
Fax: +44 (0) 118 975 0236
Web page: http://www.henley.reading.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roswell E. Mathis III & Gerald O. Bierwag, 1999. "Pricing Eurodollar futures options with the Ho and Lee and Black, Derman, and Toy models: An empirical comparison," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(3), pages 291-306, 05.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Jarrow, Robert A & Turnbull, Stuart M, 1995. " Pricing Derivatives on Financial Securities Subject to Credit Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 53-85, March.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Chang Eric C. & Moon-Whoan Rhee & Kit Pong Wong, 1995. "A note on the spread between the rates of fixed and variable rate loans," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 1479-1487, November.
- Allen, Linda & Saunders, Anthony & Udell, Gregory F., 1991. "The pricing of retail deposits: Concentration and information," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 335-361, December.
- Hannan, Timothy H, 1991. "Foundations of the Structure-Conduct-Performance Paradigm in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(1), pages 68-84, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rdg:icmadp:icma-dp2001-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Pearson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.