Incomplete Financial Markets With Real Assets and Endogenous Credit Limits
In this paper we analyze the effects of restricted participation in a two-period gen- eral equilibrium model with uncertainty in the second period and real assets. Similar to certain arrangements in the market for bank loans, household borrowing is restricted by a household-specific wealth dependent upper bound on credit lines in all states of uncertainty in the second period. We first establish that, generically in the set of the economies, equilibria exist and are finite and regular. We then show that equilibria are generically suboptimal. Finally, we provide a robust example demonstrating that the equilibrium allocations can be Pareto improved through a tightening of the participation constraints.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.krannert.purdue.edu/programs/phd
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdelkrim Seghir & Juan Pablo Torres-Martínez, 2010.
"On equilibrium existence with endogenous restricted financial participation,"
wp316, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Seghir, Abdelkrim & Torres-Martínez, Juan Pablo, 2011. "On equilibrium existence with endogenous restricted financial participation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 37-42, January.
- Michele Gori & Marina Pireddu & Antonio Villanacci, 2010.
"Existence of financial equilibria with endogenous short selling restrictions and real assets,"
Working Papers - Mathematical Economics
2010-07, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa, revised Aug 2012.
- Michele Gori & Marina Pireddu & Antonio Villanacci, 2014. "Existence of financial equilibria with endogenous short selling restrictions and real assets," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 349-371, October.
- Radner, Roy, 1972. "Existence of Equilibrium of Plans, Prices, and Price Expectations in a Sequence of Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(2), pages 289-303, March.
- Husseini, S. Y. & Lasry, J. -M. & Magill, M. J. P., 1990. "Existence of equilibrium with incomplete markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 39-67.
- Balasko, Yves & Cass, David & Siconolfi, Paolo, 1990. "The structure of financial equilibrium with exogenous yields : The case of restricted participation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 195-216.
- Polemarchakis, H. M. & Siconolfi, P., 1997. "Generic existence of competitive equilibria with restricted participation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 289-311, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pur:prukra:1271. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Krannert PHD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.