General equilibrium and social choice with increasing returns
For any intransitive community preference, we construct a non-convex economy where all the marginal cost pricing general equilibria are Pareto inefficient (theorem 3.2). The result is valid without requiring a fixed income distribution rule (corollary 3.3). Intransitive community preferences are a frequent occurrence (theorem 3.1): necessary and sufficient conditions for transitivity of the community preference fail in a set which is open and dense in the space of individual preferences with a standard topology.
|Date of creation:||1990|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Donald J. & Heal, Geoffrey M. & Ali Khan, M. & Vohra, Rajiv, 1986.
"On a general existence theorem for marginal cost pricing equilibria,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 371-379, April.
- Donald J. Brown & Geoffrey M. Heal & M. Ali Khan & Rajiv Vohra, 1984. "On a General Existence Theorem for Marginal Cost Pricing Equilibria," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 724, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1986. "Topological complexity of manifolds of preferences," MPRA Paper 8119, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela & Heal, Geoffrey, 1983. "Community preferences and social choice," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 33-61, September.
- Donald J. Brown & Geoffrey Heal, 1979. "Equity, Efficiency and Increasing Returns," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(4), pages 571-585.
- Donald J. Brown & Geoffrey M. Heal, 1978. "Equity, Efficiency and Increasing Returns," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 504, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1972. "Smooth Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(4), pages 603-615, July.
- DEBREU, Gérard, "undated". "Smooth preferences," CORE Discussion Papers RP 132, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Chipman, John S., 1974. "Homothetic preferences and aggregation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 26-38, May.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1980. "Social choice and the topology of spaces of preferences," MPRA Paper 8006, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1975. "Pareto Optimality in Non-Convex Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Brown, Donald J & Heal, Geoffrey M, 1983. "Marginal vs. Average Cost Pricing in the Presence of a Public Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 189-193, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)