Charting Technical Trading Rules and the Lottery of Technical Analysis: Empirical Evidence from Foreign Exchange Market
We use trend-following, trend continuation and trend reversal pattern recognition techniques to apply technical charting rules to trading seven major currency pairs for the period of 1999 through early 2007. Our results suggest that the persistent popularity of technical analysis among practicing traders may be the result of a “lottery” wherein most of the participants end up with zero profits. However, the rest of the participants are much more likely to end up winning rather than losing. In this way, the popularity of technical trading rules may co-exist with the validity of market efficiency hypothesis.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reitz, Stefan, 2006. "On the predictive content of technical analysis," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 121-137, August.
- De Bondt, Werner F M & Thaler, Richard, 1985. " Does the Stock Market Overreact?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 793-805, July.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Levin, Jay H, 1997. "Chartists, Fundamentalists and Exchange Rate Dynamics," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(4), pages 281-290, October.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Titman, Sheridan, 1993. " Returns to Buying Winners and Selling Losers: Implications for Stock Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 65-91, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:7849. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.