Derivative use and its impact on Systematic Risk of Indian Banks: Evidence using Tobit model
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Tufano, Peter, 1989. "Financial innovation and first-mover advantages," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 213-240, December.
- Dawood Ashraf & Yener Altunbas & John Goddard, 2007. "Who Transfers Credit Risk? Determinants of the Use of Credit Derivatives by Large US Banks," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(5), pages 483-500.
- Eleonora Broccardo & Maria Mazzuca & Elmas Yaldiz, 2014. "The use and determinants of credit derivatives in Italian banks," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 15(4), pages 417-436, August.
- Hogan, Arthur M. B. & Malmquist, David H., 1999. "Barriers to depository uses of derivatives: an empirical analysis," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(3-4), pages 419-440, November.
- Doidge, Craig & Griffin, John & Williamson, Rohan, 2006. "Measuring the economic importance of exchange rate exposure," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4-5), pages 550-576, October.
- J. David Cummins & Richard D. Phillips & Stephen D. Smith, 1997.
"Derivatives and corporate risk management: participation and volume decisions in the insurance industry,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
97-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- J. David Cummins & Richard D. Phillips & Stephen D. Smith, 1998. "Derivatives and Corporate Risk Management: Participation and Volume Decisions in the Insurance Industry," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-19, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Whidbee, David A. & Wohar, Mark, 1999. "Derivative activities and managerial incentives in the banking industry," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 251-276, September.
- de Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2006.
"Foreign banks and credit stability in Central and Eastern Europe. A panel data analysis,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1927-1952, July.
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2003. "Foreign Banks and Credit Stability in Central and Eastern Europe: A Panel Data Analysis," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 109, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Demsetz, Rebecca S & Strahan, Philip E, 1997. "Diversification, Size, and Risk at Bank Holding Companies," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(3), pages 300-313, August.
- G. S. Maddala, 1987. "Limited Dependent Variable Models Using Panel Data," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 22(3), pages 307-338.
- Warner, Jerold B, 1977. "Bankruptcy Costs: Some Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 337-347, May.
- David Carter & Joseph Sinkey, 1998. "The Use of Interest Rate Derivatives by End-users: The Case of Large Community Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 14(1), pages 17-34, July.
- Geczy, Christopher & Minton, Bernadette A & Schrand, Catherine, 1997. "Why Firms Use Currency Derivatives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1323-1354, September.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Li, Shaofang & Marinč, Matej, 2014. "The use of financial derivatives and risks of U.S. bank holding companies," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 46-71.
- Luigi Infante & Stefano Piermattei & Raffaele Santioni & Bianca Sorvillo, 2020. "Diversifying away risks through derivatives: an analysis of the Italian banking system," Economia Politica: Journal of Analytical and Institutional Economics, Springer;Fondazione Edison, vol. 37(2), pages 621-657, July.
- Monda, Barbara & Giorgino, Marco & Modolin, Ileana, 2013. "Rationales for Corporate Risk Management - A Critical Literature Review," MPRA Paper 45420, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Blasko, Matej & Sinkey, Joseph Jr., 2006. "Bank asset structure, real-estate lending, and risk-taking," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 53-81, February.
- Lel, Ugur, 2012.
"Currency hedging and corporate governance: A cross-country analysis,"
Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 221-237.
- Ugur Lel, 2006. "Currency hedging and corporate governance: a cross-country analysis," International Finance Discussion Papers 858, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- SinkeyJr., Joseph F. & Carter, David A., 2000. "Evidence on the financial characteristics of banks that do and do not use derivatives," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 431-449.
- Niclas Hagelin, 2003. "Why firms hedge with currency derivatives: an examination of transaction and translation exposure," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 55-69.
- Francis, Bill B. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Hunter, Delroy M., 2008. "Does hedging tell the full story? : Reconciling differences in US aggregate and industry-level exchange rate risk premia," Research Discussion Papers 14/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Huffman, Stephen P. & Makar, Stephen D. & Beyer, Scott B., 2010. "A three-factor model investigation of foreign exchange-rate exposure," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-12.
- Shanker, Latha, 2000. "An innovative analysis of taxes and corporate hedging," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 237-255, December.
- Selim Mankaï & Aymen Belgacem, 2013.
"Interactions Between Risk-Taking, Capital, and Reinsurance for Property-Liability Insurance Firms,"
EconomiX Working Papers
2013-23, University of Paris Nanterre, EconomiX.
- Selim Mankaï & Aymen Belgacem, 2014. "Interactions Between Risk-Taking, Capital, and Reinsurance for Property- Liability Insurance Firms," Working Papers 2014-154, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Arnold, Matthias M. & Rathgeber, Andreas W. & Stöckl, Stefan, 2014. "Determinants of corporate hedging: A (statistical) meta-analysis," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 443-458.
- Söhnke M. Bartram & Gregory W. Brown & Frank R. Fehle, 2009.
"International Evidence on Financial Derivatives Usage,"
Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(1), pages 185-206, March.
- Sohnke M. Bartram & Gregory W. Brown & Frank R. Fehle, 2003. "International Evidence on Financial Derivatives Usage," Finance 0307003, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 24 Jul 2003.
- Young Sang Kim & Junyoup Lee & Ha-Chin Yi, 2021. "Is Foreign Exchange Risk Priced in Bank Loan Spreads?," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 57(3), pages 1061-1092, October.
- Erwann Michel-Kerjan & Paul Raschky & Howard Kunreuther, 2015.
"Corporate Demand for Insurance: New Evidence From the U.S. Terrorism and Property Markets,"
Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 82(3), pages 505-530, September.
- Erwann Michel-Kerjan & Paul Raschky & Howard Kunreuther, 2013. "Corporate Demand for Insurance: New Evidence from the U.S. Terrorism and Property Markets," NBER Working Papers 19532, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mine Ertugrul & Özcan Sezer & C. Sirmans, 2008. "Financial Leverage, CEO Compensation,and Corporate Hedging: Evidence from Real Estate Investment Trusts," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 53-80, January.
- Duijm, Patty & Schoenmaker, Dirk, 2021.
"European banks straddling borders: Risky or rewarding?,"
Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(C).
- Duijm, Patty & Schoenmaker, Dirk, 2017. "European Banks Straddling Borders: Risky or Rewarding?," CEPR Discussion Papers 12159, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chen, Minghua & Wu, Ji & Jeon, Bang Nam & Wang, Rui, 2017.
"Do foreign banks take more risk? Evidence from emerging economies,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 82(C), pages 20-39.
- Jeon, Bang & Wu, Ji & Chen, Minghua & Wang, Rui, 2016. "Do foreign banks take more risk? Evidence from emerging economies," School of Economics Working Paper Series 2016-4, LeBow College of Business, Drexel University.
- Aunon-Nerin, Daniel & Ehling, Paul, 2008. "Why firms purchase property insurance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 298-312, December.
- Burak Pirgaip & Aslıhan Taşdemir, 2017. "Derivative Use of Turkish Investment Funds During the 2008-09 Financial Crisis," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 7(1), pages 1-14, January.
More about this item
Keywordsderivatives ; systematic risk; hedging; exchange rate exposure; interest rate risk;
All these keywords.
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-RMG-2016-07-09 (Risk Management)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:72251. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Joachim Winter (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.